GEARS

manny231988

Established Member
Hey guys I'm getting ready to do gears on my 13 I decided to go with 410s. I wanted to ask y'all guys that have done gears before if any of y'all have used a crush sleeve eliminator kit. I have read this will help eliminate the chances of the crush sleeve failing, letting the pinion move and ending up with noise from the gears, any info on this Would really help. Thanks in advance

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Great choice you'll be happy.
Do you drag race or run drag radials?
I have solid spacer in mine.
-J

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
Terrific gear choice. A shop did my 410 install......NO Whine.
Two sets of 373's 2 different shops...Whine !
Hats off to you guys who do this work at home.

manny231988

Established Member
Great choice you'll be happy.
Do you drag race or run drag radials?
I have solid spacer in mine.
-J
Bimini I actually sent you a PM asking about the 410 gears before i purchased but just went back to some of your threads were you mentioned you were happy with the 410s, i drag race some I'm working on my setup as we speak I'll be running 17x9.5 race stars with 28x10x17, can you enlighten me on how to set up that solid spacer and what you torqued it too.

manny231988

Established Member
Awesome other then the different bigger pinion Bearing did y'all need anything else for this diff I got the track pack torsen, I will be attempting it this weekend, I'll be pulling the entire differential out, because doing it on your back in your garage is a total pain in the rear, and. I got some bmr suspension stuff that's also going in at installation.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Terrific gear choice. A shop did my 410 install......NO Whine.
Two sets of 373's 2 different shops...Whine !
Hats off to you guys who do this work at home.

I gotta ask... did you ever find out why the two sets of 373's were whining? My 355's whine and it drives me nuts. I'm gonna rip it apart this winter and adjust or rebuild. Crush sleeve eliminator kit sounds like good idea.....!

98-svt-stang

Established Member
I put 430s in my 98 at home in my garage. It sucked to say the least. I used a new crush sleeve and its ridiculous how much force is required to crush it. I made my own pinion flange holding tool and had long breaker bars to get it to crush. It ended up good with no whine. But if i had to do it again id try the solid spacer.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MAZZ MAN

Established Member
Gear wine is caused by the pin on depth being setup to deep or to shallow, this means that the wear pattern is running off the end of the ring gear. It will clunk if the back lash is to loose.

The reason a 410 will set up easier than a 373 or smaller is because the pinion is larger on the smaller number gear and is harder to center if you do not have the correct tools to set the pinion depth.

A lot of people think that using the same shim that in under the pinion bearing is going to be the same for all gears but that is not true. You need to check the pinion depth every you change out the rear gear and check the wear pattern or it will make noise.

There is a YouTube video of the guy at c.j. pony parts changing out a gear and not setting it up correct and at the end of the video you can see the wear pattern is very close to the end of the gear. I would bet it made noise.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Awesome other then the different bigger pinion Bearing did y'all need anything else for this diff I got the track pack torsen, I will be attempting it this weekend, I'll be pulling the entire differential out, because doing it on your back in your garage is a total pain in the rear, and. I got some bmr suspension stuff that's also going in at installation.
Unfortunately I don't set up gears so not sure on torque specs but I used the FRPP deluxe install kit (B2? G2?) and sourced the bigger pinion bearing once from Van at Revan Racing and once from my local dealer.
On the solid spacer you have to find the right thickness through trial and error then essentially make the custom solid in that size. Several threads give other options and I think my chassis shop (Team Z) used a part from a 9" install kit for the solid spacer.
Last thing is that if you're launching on slicks, you'll need a brace (Swarr bar?) and consider a differential cover. Hope the Torsen holds up man but I know you'll love the four tens :)
-J

Users who are viewing this thread