Gords Performance Intercooler with fans

TVSCobra

Established Member
Just intalled the Gords intercooler with fans. My average IAT2 above IAT1 is now around 22-28 degress higher than IAT1 after driving 30+ minutes with plenty of stop and go traffic, then about a 15 minute highway drive. Then back to stop and go traffic for about 7-8 minutes, then back to a 15 minute highway cruise.

The nice thing is using the fans in stop and go traffic, the fans are effective when cruising under 45-50 mph. After that the fans are not effective.

Need to do some WOT runs and see how quickly the IAT2 recovers. The fitment is pretty nice and the install is simple.

Right now this is the largest intercooler on the market. Uses all the stock mounting with a bit of modification of the rubber isolater on the intercooler mounts. Four rubber mount isolators total, it also allows you to demodify and put the stock unit back if you want to.

Overall I'm happy with the intercooler. Looks great and seems to perform much better than the stock unit.

Just need to do some WOT runs and see how it recovers.

Gordon is also working on a much larger intercooler with larger fans with dual inlets and dual outlets. So you have the option of running two pumps or one pump if you get a higher flowing pump like a have. Its also suppose to work on 03-04 Cobras, GT500s and lightning.

I know there is another company working on an intercooler with fans for the 03-04 Cobras, I think it's AFCO, but I can't remember which company it is.

It takes much longer for the IAT2 to climb in temperture than the stock unit.

I realize the Killer chiller would give better IAT2 performance, but I chose to go in a different direction, since I already had the higher flowing pump.

Eventually I will wire the intercooler relay to active once I active the fans on the intercooler, so I can run the pump and the fans at the same time when the engine is off.

Will update after doing some WOT runs.

I will make a few videos so you guys can see it in action.

Just wanted to share.

Ill also post some pics of the intercooler mounted in the car, if you guys want. It will be easier to email the pics, or I can just post them in this thread. Let me know if anyone wants some pics emailed to you.

Also wasn't there an intercooler tank worked like a Killer chiller?

Thanks
:rockon::beer:

TRBO VNM

You are talking about the heat exchanger not the intercooler.

The gords is a very good unit and was very popular when these cars first came out and then they died out some probably because of the cost. But they are a very nice unit.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
I would get the fans. Just my opinion.

I wouldn't. Just my opinion.

Out of curiosity, where's the datalog proving the before and after benefit? Excitement from a newly installed part typically isn't the best basis for unbiased data.

TVSCobra

Established Member
IAT2 this morning never went over 70. Outside temps were mid 30's. It stayed between 50-60 on the way into work, then when I started slowing down and stopping at lights, slow traffic, etc. is when it started to climb. Then I turned the fans on and the temps started to go back down.

on another note, I don't have to prove anything to anyone on this forum. I'm simply sharing my experience and the temps I'm seeing from my Aeroforce Intercepter.

I told you guys I would post pics and videos showing the difference between IAT1 and IAT2.

Just be patient.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
thanks, I'm looking to see what a larger IC tank over the stock one does to mine on my setup...

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
...on another note, I don't have to prove anything to anyone on this forum. I'm simply sharing my experience and the temps I'm seeing from my Aeroforce Intercepter.

I told you guys I would post pics and videos showing the difference between IAT1 and IAT2.

Just be patient.

You're right. You don't have to prove anything.

...My average IAT2 above IAT1 is now around 22-28 degress higher than IAT1 after driving 30+ minutes... ...The nice thing is using the fans in stop and go traffic, the fans are effective when cruising under 45-50 mph. After that the fans are not effective... ...Looks great and seems to perform much better than the stock unit... ...It takes much longer for the IAT2 to climb in temperture than the stock unit.

I'm looking forward to the data.

thanks, I'm looking to see what a larger IC tank over the stock one does to mine on my setup...

A larger IC tank won't lower IAT2's one bit.

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
I agree it wont lower them, but the larger tank should be able to sustain my low IAT2 for a longer duration. same as those that go from a small underhood ice packed tank to a large capacity trunk tank. only draw back I would see would be the recovery time to recool the larger volume of coolant after beating on it. as I have noted on other threads about this topic....

I observe a pretty consisent IAT2 temp of around 89* w/ a slight jump to low 100's after a full pull frome 1st through 4th gear with ambient outside temps from anywhere between 70*-95* ....it quickly restores to pre-beating temp within a couple minutes. anything below 70* ambient outside temp, my IAT2s temp drop as well... I dont get to drive mine much when its 30* in Michigan...because of snow & salt..... I noticed when I had it last out somewhere in the low 40's, that I was seeing an average 70* IAT2 temp after several beatings of going through the gears after up to running temp. The increase I see immediatly after letting off can also be contributed by the closed throttle plate after WOT not letting much air to the heatsoaked sensor hence maybe why it takes a couple minutes to recover with out much air flow other than the bypass when not in boost.

Last edited:

Turbo96'Cobra

Mongoose Hunter
Established Member
Awesome man, congrats on the heat exchanger I am eager to see your pics!

And if you can get those fans so they can run with the car is off, maybe just based on turning the key over that would be great while you are in stagging or trying to run a hot lap at the track :beer:

Last edited:

TVSCobra

Established Member
I have the fans wired to a switch witch controls the relay, so I can switch the fans on and off when I want. I will check the amperage draw off the fans.

Pics of the IAT2 coming.

getting everything together and show you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread