Guy from Sweden in need of help Boss/CJ intake

eekkaann

Established Member
Hi

So I have a 2012 GT. completely stock motor except Borla catback, manual trans and have been looking on both the CJ intake and the BOSS intake. Wich will be the best for me? Been reading alot on both but still cant make up my mind.
Here's the thing, where i live there is no tuner. Its not as common as in USA.
Could both be used with a e mail tune? Or is the Boss a better choice?

What HP will I be at ( motor )?

I also would like to buy a complete kit, manifold, intake, tuner and so on so it just will be a plug and play installation.
Have a friend that can get me some discount on summit, but i am open to suggestions.

If Boss is the better choice I would like to get as much power as possible out of it. Will I need a new trottlebody?
Also would really like a CF intake if i go this route. ( been wanting one since my 07 GT, lame, I know )

Also, currently Im on boss 338 wheels (20") but really like the look of darkstars and other drag like wheels.
what wheels should I look at, i dont drag my car but like the looks and would really like a set for every day driving. Thinking 17 up front and 15 rear. Currently lowered on eibachs.

Looking forward for your help!

imeyers302

Established Member
My car is a 2014 GT. From day 1 it came from the dealer with the Boss manifold, Steeda CAI, and Steeda tune. Car runs phenomenal and never so much as a hiccup with the tune. If you go that route they have a package deal with a tuner. You won't regret it. It's also a bit cheaper than the cobra jet because you can use stock throttle body.

http://www.steeda.com/2011-2014-mustang-parts/#/product/2313

SixPak

Established Member
Any number of the vendors on this site would be willing to help you out. I am betting one or more will chime in with an offer to help you out. If not, contact one in the vendors forum.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Order a CJ intake and email Shaun at AED for a tune. You wont be disappointed.

KushBandit

Established Member
Order a CJ intake and email Shaun at AED for a tune. You wont be disappointed.

+1

If you have the money, get the CJ setup. Cobra Jet > Boss

Stay with the stock manifold if you don't plan on revving to 7500+

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Another vote for AED. Do you already have full exhaust? I personally wouldn't do either manifold before a full exhaust setup. You might also consider the GT350 intake manifold, it looks promising as well and I believe AED has tuned a few as well.

Last edited:

eekkaann

Established Member
OK. Is it safe to run the CJ with a email tune?
Not planning on doing headers right now, is it still worth it?
Will I be at 500hp in the motor?

From CJ kits i see at for example CJ ponyparts it seems to have everything i need except the tuner? Which handheld tuner should I get or it does'nt matter?

Wich trottlebody should I go with?
Considering here is no tuner I can go to to get my car dailed in, wich is best and safest for a e mail tune?

scotmach

Established Member
I would start with just a tune and the stock intake. You might find you like that plenty. But you're taking the wrong approach here and it looks like all you care about are dyno numbers.

eekkaann

Established Member
No not just caring about dyno numbers, just interested if it is THAT big difference with CJ intake vs stock.
Not planning on going supercharged thats why this is sooo tempting.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I would start with just a tune and the stock intake. You might find you like that plenty. But you're taking the wrong approach here and it looks like all you care about are dyno numbers.

I agree with this approach. The tune even on an otherwise stock car makes a huge difference, felt like I had completely different car, throttle response was night and day difference with even base tune. As far as tuners go I obviously like AED, but also like Lund. They both have years of experience with coyote motors and either one of them would have no problem dialing you in.

If you are going to do the CJ, then would go with the FRPP dual 65mm or C-F-M twin 67mm, infact CFM has a package deal for 1499, its the trifecta, CJ manifold, FRPP CJ coldair, 67mm throttlebody. I believe they are also a forum sponsor.

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepar...e-for-2011-2014-Mustang-GT-Boss-302-p4977.htm

eekkaann

Established Member
Ok, i think I will go with the CJ set up, with the monoblade trottlebody. From what I read Lund, AED for example have no problem tuning this setup by a e mail tune? I was looking at Airaids carbon fiber intake on Summit but IF I would go that route, just CAI and tune, I would have to change that later down the road IF/when I would do the manifold. Or get the Boss that will work together with that set up.
What gains should I expect without headers?

As for wheels, are any of them good for daily use?
Arent they all to skinny up front?
Would really like a set thats good for street/highway mainly but with the drag look

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I didnt recommend the monoblade since you are in sweden and if it gives you trouble there is a good chance it will need to be sent back accufab for calibration. I know Shaun@AED tunes them just fine, but issues with that TB are out of his control and will probably require shipping it back to accufab. Many guys have had no issue and it is going to make the most power on that manifold. However enough guys have also had trouble and it would give me pause if I lived overseas. Just my honest opinion, FWIW.. Cheers and happy modding!!!

basspro302

Established Member
Not trying to thread jack but is the mono blade flow a lot more than the cfm twin67? I couldn't find data on it.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Think Shaun has some data on it, maybe he can chime in. Though at NA power levels I doubt it matters a whole helluva lot, maybe 5hp. I have seen the CJ mono make 15 more HP over a Frpp 65mm on a TVS upgraded 2010 GT500.

AKDMB

Established Member
The monoblade flows about 50cfm more than the VMP/CFM Performance Twin 67mm

DaBigBone

Established Member
Not trying to thread jack but is the mono blade flow a lot more than the cfm twin67? I couldn't find data on it.

They're within 50cfm of each other. Apparently the mono is harder to tune but I'm just speaking off what I've heard. Haven't personally run one. The twin 67 is supposed to drive a lot smoother. I know plenty of people with 0 issues on the mono though.

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Ok, i think I will go with the CJ set up, with the monoblade trottlebody. From what I read Lund, AED for example have no problem tuning this setup by a e mail tune? I was looking at Airaids carbon fiber intake on Summit but IF I would go that route, just CAI and tune, I would have to change that later down the road IF/when I would do the manifold. Or get the Boss that will work together with that set up.
What gains should I expect without headers?

As for wheels, are any of them good for daily use?
Arent they all to skinny up front?
Would really like a set thats good for street/highway mainly but with the drag look

The Ford Racing CAI is what you need for the CJ manifold. I dont think airaid has one that fits the CJ stuff.

http://www.tascaparts.com/intakes-a...et-ford-m-9424-m50cj-m-9424-m50cj?parent=1059
http://www.tascaparts.com/air-metering/5.0l-cobra-jet-cold-air-kit/m-9603-m50cj/?parent=1038
http://www.tascaparts.com/intakes-a...500-oval-throttle-body-m-9926-scj?parent=1059

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I once ran down the 1/4 mile with a boss intake in my hands and I went from being able to do it in 5 minutes down to 42 seconds.

I went with the CJ, so, you probably know what I'll say. :)

eekkaann

Established Member
I agree with this approach. The tune even on an otherwise stock car makes a huge difference, felt like I had completely different car, throttle response was night and day difference with even base tune. As far as tuners go I obviously like AED, but also like Lund. They both have years of experience with coyote motors and either one of them would have no problem dialing you in.

If you are going to do the CJ, then would go with the FRPP dual 65mm or C-F-M twin 67mm, infact CFM has a package deal for 1499, its the trifecta, CJ manifold, FRPP CJ coldair, 67mm throttlebody. I believe they are also a forum sponsor.

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepar...e-for-2011-2014-Mustang-GT-Boss-302-p4977.htm

So if I get this right Im looking at
1500$ for the package
400$ for a tuner
350- 400$ for a tune
150$ for lower control arms

And I will loose my stock strut tower brace.
The reason I want this kit over the Boss is that i've read you hardly loose any torqe. Correct me if i'm wrong. This is important for me.
Any of you with the CJ setup that have regrets?

Users who are viewing this thread