Hawk pads too thick?? Anyone else ever see this??

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
If it is the rear then they probably gave you GT pads, the GT pads are a little thicker than the Cobra pads due to the rotor being thinner.

LILBLKSNAKE

Village Idiot
Established Member
It's the front pads.
I have both caliper tools (front is press down, rear is twist down)
I have Friday off, the car is at my Uncle's body shop until we figure it out.

I'll also be installing my s281 wing Friday!!

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
I had a set of those hawks on my 97 coupe when i bought them...almost brand new. NOISY AS A FRIEGHT TRAIN.

Back to the topic, i've heard similar things about the GT/Cobra discrepency. Make sure they didn't skim you with GTs

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
I think the difference in the part number, at least for the rears is the Cobra pads part number add an extra letter or digit.

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
Sitting on my desk right now:

Rear Cobra HPS - HB183F.585
Front Cobra HPS - HB111F.610

Verifies on the Hawk web site too. Must be GT pads like everyone else said.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
It's the front pads.
I have both caliper tools (front is press down, rear is twist down)
I have Friday off, the car is at my Uncle's body shop until we figure it out.

I'll also be installing my s281 wing Friday!!

he said its the front, not the rear, so gt pads wont even look rite to work.

Jon96cobra

Established Member
I have installed 4 sets of hawk pads for my cobra and haven't had any trouble. I would guess they gave you the wrong pads. I have rebuilt the caliper once since the dust boots cracked from the heat.

dark_cobra_01

Established Member
The car in question is mine and it's been a PITA to do these friggin brakes.

The pads are verified as HB111 front's..

I've had correspondance with Hawk's Tech Support and Engineering staff. I got an answer from their engineers which is almost retarded.. They said it's a known problem that the set ships with two inner pads of the same side (2 left inners or 2 right inners).. This still is not my issue because I can put together the drivers side set and passenger side set with perfect line up of all notches to fit each caliper.

The Answer is simple. Grind off the the Wear Indicator tab and nipple on the back plates of the front pads , and grind off the nipple on the backplate of the rear pads (there is no wear indicator attached to the rear only the nipple exists because the plate they use is the same all the way around)... These friggin bumps/nipples are cocking the pad at an angle and preventing the caliper from going over the rotor.

Several Ford Mechanics have said the same thing... ANd the Ford OEM pads have no wear indicators which makes the back surface flat when inserted into the caliper.

Even Hawk said DO NOT GRIND down the pad surface.. you will glaze over the material and reduce the performance and the life of everything you installed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread