Help with gas filling 12 gt500

802gt500

Established Member
So I have a 12 gt500 and the last time I tried to fill it I put the nozzle in and locked the lever on full. About 5 seconds later gas is puking everywhere out of the side of the car. I can slowly get about a half a tank and then it starts puking under the car by the fill tube vent.
I Am thinking the vent line solenoid inbetween the two tanks could be stuck closed. I put the car on the lift an no exhaust has touched or melted the vent line. Ive had the car for 17k and no issues filling before this weekend

Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alan

StrayBullitt

Established Member
upload_2017-9-20_6-41-14.png

Not sure on our cars specifically, but anytime that I have delt with this in the past on other cars it was either a failed vent solenoid, I think typically called the 'canister close valve'. Or, a plugged vent pipe.

Imatk

Established Member
Common issue with these cars.

You will have to pump slower... you can also try turning the nozzle completely upside down.

I find some pumps are worse than others but I suspect it's the velocity of the fuel coming out of the pump.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Common issue with these cars.

You will have to pump slower... you can also try turning the nozzle completely upside down.

I find some pumps are worse than others but I suspect it's the velocity of the fuel coming out of the pump.
Doesn't make sense. He's owned the car for awhile, and this is a new issue. I had a similar problem on a 2012 Fiesta, and the dealer replaced most of the components around the filler, then eventually the tank itself. I have heard that on occasion, a bug or spider nests in a vent or drain line. Good luck in troubleshooting this....

StrayBullitt

Established Member
There should be some sort of filter or screen on the vent tube, it can rust or get dirty and get plugged , depending. If it's metal and it does rust, flake can get stuck in the close valve. I would take the vented end of the pipe loose from the system and if you still cannot fill the tank, suspect the close valve.

802gt500

Established Member
Thanks for the advise guys. I found that the exhaust rotated a bit and crushed and melted the vent for the passenger side. Problem fixed. Filled it last night and was able to go wide open with the nozzle.

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread