Home security - cameras? Moitoring companies?

_Snake_

Established Member
The last thread on home security cameras is a couple of years old so I figured it was appropriate to see what's currently out there. What's everyone's recommendations on security cameras? We're hearing about more and more break in's in our rapidly growing town and don't want to be an easy target. We're looking to add several high quality cameras around the house for 360 coverage and want:
1. Notification if the cameras pick up movement
2. 24/7 recording with storage of at least 2 weeks
3. Ability to view cameras real time from both a laptop and phone
4. Enough resolution to easily ID faces day and night if possible
5. Discreet. I don't necessarily need them hidden, but I don't want them to be the first thing you notice looking at the house

Any recommendations, guidance, or advice is welcome.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
I tried the Zmodo wireless system but could never get all the cameras to connect. Ended up sending it back. I suppose if I had a wired system that would not have been a problem. The Arlo is supposed to be a good system but our net speed is not fast enough for them. We are now using simplysafe with camera indoors and it works good. Notifies us whenever there is a incident. So far that has only been power outages. Good luck.

jaxbusa

Established Member
I have a night owl 720 system with DVR. I've had it for about 3 years. Two of the eight cameras don't have night vision anymore. The system uses wires from the dvr to all of the cameras. It also has an app so you can view it from a mobile device. I wish the night vision was better. The daytime picture is awesome. Setting up the internet and app to it sucked. It will send you an email notification and it has plenty of storage. It allows you to use motion for it to record and you can change sensitivity and areas that trigger a recording. An example of that would be if you have a bush or tree in the view that sways. You can omit that area from triggering a recording. I don't think I would buy this one again based on it not being as user friendly as it could be and nighttime quality. As far as being discreet, anyone can easily see the red glow from the night vision LEDs. During the day you have to look hard because I painted my under eave cameras the same as my house and mounted them away from the edges. In my back yard I ran the cable underground and up a hollowed out piece of wood to a birdhouse that I made just for mounting the camera in. You also have to think about the security of the dvr unit. I I made a small frame and mounted mine under a desk.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Blown 89

Established Member
We bought a system at Costco. I don't remember the name of it but it works great. Great night time resolution, faces are ID'able, great web interface. It's awesome at seeing people rob your house and the police telling you there isn't anything they can do about it.

About the only thing we use it for is to keep contractors honest with their hours, and the nanny under surveillance. If someone breaks in that camera will be useless. It won't stop the break-in and it won't solve it after the fact. My 2 cents from personal experience.

IllCobra

Established Member
Added to watch

I've been thinking of getting a camera system since there are increasing break-ins in cities south of my area and they seem to be moving my way quick. I have no clue on security camera systems so i will be watching this thread closely.

_Snake_

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback so far, and keep it coming.

What are some of the brands to look for?

08mojo

Established Member
I'm using Nest cameras. I tried a couple of other, stand-along systems from Swann and Samsung, but did not have the best luck with either. The Nest is easy and the picture quality is good--both day and night. You can sign-up for their monitoring/cloud storage (it's really just storage), but it is per camera. I have 4 cameras, two have Nest's cloud storage, but you really don't need it.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
We use local small company. A smaller company from what i have experienced is far more knowledgeable than a bit national company. It's more expensive than the discount stores but i feel better talking with them in person than trying listening to opinions on forums. Plus it can be tailored to your needs/price.

From what i see, making out a faces in nightvision is hard with cheaper cameras.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
I do CCTV for a living, I would most definitely contacting a local company who specializes in IP systems, the days of analog and HD-TVI are long gone but with the insurgence of IP equipment there has definitely been a delay of on board companies. If you'd like shoot me a PM and I can give you a rough idea of a good starting budget/price expectation.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Nest is a great option.

We had an outdoor cam and are changing it to an indoor due to association rules.

Nest aware is a great service and the app is very user friendly.

Video quality is 1080P with good audio/video, and the setup is super easy.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Anyone have any experience with the package ATT offers? Heard it wasn;t good. Can anyone upload a pic of how well the night vision works on their cameras? Thanks!

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
I use Nest as well have some indoor and out, my brothers liked them a lot so they both use them as well. Very easy to use, good app. Not happy about the monthly fee , but it's pretty much a must.

Users who are viewing this thread