How did this happen?? Block split right in half!

qkslvr221

Established Member
blownup5_767.jpg

blocksplit4_381.jpg

blocksplit2_197.jpg

blocksplit1_314.jpg

Anyone know the story behind this one?

:uh oh:

davbrucas

Banned
high HP + stock 302 block = what you see above. i have seen the same thing happen to a friends 550hp 5.0. they dont last long at those levels. and this was with the stud girdle. get a mex block or if you can afford it, the dart or R block.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
davbrucas said:
high HP + stock 302 block = what you see above. i have seen the same thing happen to a friends 550hp 5.0. they dont last long at those levels. and this was with the stud girdle. get a mex block or if you can afford it, the dart or R block.

Yepper, very common for stock 5 liter blocks to split like that under high horsepower.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
heck even a lo po windsor block will crack like that if you overheat it repeatedly and starve it for oil (dont ask)

drove it with a crack in the lifter valley for about 9 months. oil pressure would drop to zero at stop signs. and it didnt knock.

BBQLS1

Established Member
I guess the old ford just couldn't handle it.

:poke:

I can smell my skin burn from the flames I am about to recive.

:burn:

blecoupe89

Sprayin for 10's
Established Member
It happens...I have already split 4 stock 5.0 blocks. Horsepower was in the 550-600rwhp range. They just split right down the middle :kaboom: A '68-'70 302 block or a mexican block are reasonable upgrade options for that power level. :beer:

EWP

qkslvr221 said:
Anyone know the story behind this one?

Those pictures are off of Mike Murillo's web site and here is the story:

The above engine was making 570 rear wheel horses through a very lose converter using a Pro Turbo kit. The block split totally in half top to bottom, The only thing keeping the two half's together was the pistons in the bores.

The engine did not show any evidence of detonation and the tune was a very safe 11.5-1 air fuel.

LINK TO SITE

blecoupe89

Sprayin for 10's
Established Member
lafave said:
What the heck is a Mexican/Mexico Block? Does it come with hot sauce?

A mexican block has a higher nickel content so they are stronger. The lifter valley says "Hecho in Mexico". No hot sauce included though. :banana:

blecoupe89

Sprayin for 10's
Established Member
rd89cp said:
welcome to the club, now it gives you a reason to buy a dart block :beer:

:thumbsup: I'm still messing with stock blocks. I just gotta keep the NOS shot low and I'm rollin' the dice again :beer:

LS1EATR

Established Member
I have "windowed" 3 stock blocks. Very common on cars running 10.50 or quicker. I got a whopping 9 passes out of my last stock block.

lafave

Cop didn't see it....
Established Member
blecoupe89 said:
A mexican block has a higher nickel content so they are stronger. The lifter valley says "Hecho in Mexico". No hot sauce included though. :banana:

Thanks for the info! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread