How do you adjust your clutch?

mustanginky

Established Member
I have a 2000 gt with a firewall adjuster and a quadrant. I put in a new clutch less than a few hundred miles on it, and thought i had the clutch adjusted well, but i think its set up wrong. When i put it in reverse, it clunks and lurches backwards a little bit with the clutch fully depressed.

So, how do you set up an adjustable clutch and quadrant from scratch?
Thank you for any help.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
turning it in (clockwise) will loosen the cable, turning it out (counter-clockwise) will tighten the cable.

StalkerStang

Established Member
You can try and adjust the pedal to release more towards the top. See if it improves engagement.

If you do replace the cable, put a Ford one in it. I know Maximum sells the 03/04 cobra style cable. Don't waste time with a Chinese adjustable cable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Another point, these are designed to have the throw out bearing in constant motion .
Adjust so the clutch releases at the top of the throw .

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Make sure your cable is OEM or Max Motorsport(also oem). Would recommend the MM quadrant too because it keeps the cable end flush with the quadrant hook and not kinked like some stuff does (UPR etc...). Also a micro click firewall adjuster is way way better than the set screw type.

Get the TOB spinning on the forks with the car in idle and then go another 1/4 to 1/2 turn to get a good preload on it.

Users who are viewing this thread