I don't know how you guys put up with this

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
There have been several just this week and two in my home SC. People pulling the race card for a traffic violation and then being proven a liar on video. Is this to be allowed? Props to the officers dealing with this but is it not punishable to falsely accuse in the face of concrete evidence to the contrary? It's creating a bad look based on lies and contributing to the degradation of society. THX

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
I can't speak on behalf of my agency, but in the 8+ years on patrol, the race card was pulled many times and multiple complaints later of "you pulled me over because I'm ___________", *never* worked. I'm *not white* so I always thought it was interesting pulling the race card with me. I can't say I was ever stopped because I was X, Y, and Z back in my younger days.

What's funny is that there are no legal consequences of bringing a bogus complaint about an officer (with my agency anyways). There used to be a form with the statement "I declare under penalty of perjury, the foregoing is true and correct to the best of my knowledge..." box that required a signature. California Civil Code 47.5 has rarely ever been enforced.

What usually shuts people down is when I tell them "hey, it's fine you think that. But just so you know. You are being audio and video recorded. All of this is subject to review in court and available to the public through a discovery request. Do you have any further concerns or questions?"

It's not a great time to be a police officer. Only another 15 years till retirement. ;)

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
That's why I don't go anywhere without it!
d758d859306ebe05e4e5e00b1fc8db9d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
........... I tell them "hey, it's fine you think that. But just so you know. You are being audio and video recorded. .....

Yeah, see, there it is right there. My best LEO bud recently retired and he resisted the camera stuff solidly. I just could NOT understand his reticence to utilize the camera. It would seem capable of exonerating cop every single time. Conversely, it would help catch a bad cop in the act, or maybe it would prevent a cop from losing his cool, knowing the recording is there. So it's a great protection for LEO and for citizens.

CV355

_
Established Member
I know exactly what story you're talking about... Everyone runs around in a permanently offended state nowadays. Dumb.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
it happens in all lines of work. A month ago a lady reemed me out calling me a racist(she was Spanish) cause her oil change took over an hour to do. I told her if that's what you think then never return to this dealer.

Sandman333

Established Member
Yeah, see, there it is right there. My best LEO bud recently retired and he resisted the camera stuff solidly. I just could NOT understand his reticence to utilize the camera. It would seem capable of exonerating cop every single time. Conversely, it would help catch a bad cop in the act, or maybe it would prevent a cop from losing his cool, knowing the recording is there. So it's a great protection for LEO and for citizens.
We had the same attitude when BWCs came to our agency- the first locally to use them. I actually volunteered to wear one. It's been clear for some time that this is the direction we are going in LE. The detractors on the department have mostly all changed their minds, as time and again complaints have been quickly resolved in officers' favor by supervisor review of BWC video.

Users who are viewing this thread