IAT2 Pcm how to?

Oxford5pointoh

Established Member
Did a search and couldn't find anything on this. Does anyone know how to wire an IAT2 to the PCM properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jn2

Established Member
Thank you. I have a whipple so that's not in my instructions. I didn't realize the roush had it in there.

So would I need to also do the MAF re-pin if I do this?

If you have the 2.9L whipple it does not include the IAT repinning stuff. I made a thread about this before. You can buy the IAT stuff seperate and repin it. I think it would be easier to slit the MAF though. That is how it is done on the 15+ models too.

Beefcake made a thread on it. This method allows you to continue using your current tune with out adjustment

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-Relocation-Info-for-those-wanting-to-do-this

How ever once you slit the MAF for IAT2 reading you will want to have your tune adjusted. Your tuner needs to change the modifiers and multipliers for IAT spark correction. I am attaching the base settings you can start off with., these are n the conservative end though.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 4.20.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 4.20.54 PM.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

Oxford5pointoh

Established Member
So I actually went to whipple and one of the guys I have been dealing with mentioned this and then gave me a sensor and made me a wire harness. It plugs into the MAF and then goes to the IAT2 sensor they gave me. I plugged it all up and the car kinda ran funny. So I disconnected it. I wanted to learn more before I continued. This is the harness they made me.

717139d7e80b70c8eec8388ef06aabd8.jpg

I noticed my IAT on my cluster was staying at about 130 on a 102 degree day. Is that right and maybe I just need Lund to alter the tune?

jn2

Established Member
So I actually went to whipple and one of the guys I have been dealing with mentioned this and then gave me a sensor and made me a wire harness. It plugs into the MAF and then goes to the IAT2 sensor they gave me. I plugged it all up and the car kinda ran funny. So I disconnected it. I wanted to learn more before I continued. This is the harness they made me.

I noticed my IAT on my cluster was staying at about 130 on a 102 degree day. Is that right and maybe I just need Lund to alter the tune?

Perfect! That harness split's the MAF wires so it reads IAT from the sensor instead of the MAF. It runs funny bc your current sparks correction tables are set for IAT1 not IAT2. With that harness on it be reading your true air temps after the blower, which is why it read 130*.

Have lund adjust those tables for you, he uses HPT so he should be quite familiar with them.

I edited my earlier post so if you wanna go back and re-read it I explained it a bit better

Last edited:

Oxford5pointoh

Established Member
Perfect! That harness split's the MAF wires so it reads IAT from the sensor instead of the MAF. It runs funny bc your current sparks correction tables are set for IAT1 not IAT2. With that harness on it be reading your true air temps after the blower, which is why it read 130*.

Have lund adjust those tables for you, he uses HPT so he should be quite familiar with them.

I edited my earlier post so if you wanna go back and re-read it I explained it a bit better

Ok cool deal. That makes sense. So it really doesn't do a IAT2 but modifies the placement of the IAT. Meaning Lund doesn't have to guesstimate the IAT2 or factor that into the tune correct?

jn2

Established Member
Ok cool deal. That makes sense. So it really doesn't do a IAT2 but modifies the placement of the IAT. Meaning Lund doesn't have to guesstimate the IAT2 or factor that into the tune correct?

Correct. The ECM still think's the IAT signal it's getting is at the MAF, but it's actually from the IAT sensor. This gives you a accurate reading so you don't have to guesstimate your IAT2's, but since your tune prob has spark corrections based on IAT1's it doesn't play well with the new sensor. A tune update can fix all of this

Oxford5pointoh

Established Member
Correct. The ECM still think's the IAT signal it's getting is at the MAF, but it's actually from the IAT sensor. This gives you a accurate reading so you don't have to guesstimate your IAT2's, but since your tune prob has spark corrections based on IAT1's it doesn't play well with the new sensor. A tune update can fix all of this

You da man. Thanks for the help!

jn2

Established Member
You da man. Thanks for the help!

No worries man, this actually gave me an idea on how to use ECM to control timing when spraying nitrous. Most guys have a nitrous tune which usually removes 6 or so degrees of timing, which kills power when you off the juice. By adding a IAT sensor the same way you are we can use the ECM to control spark and tell it to remove timing when IAT's get colder.

Last edited:

Oxford5pointoh

Established Member
^that is pretty smart. Now the trick if you are running a stock manifold is where and how to mount the sensor

Vert

Established Member
If you have the 2.9L whipple it does not include the IAT repinning stuff. I made a thread about this before. You can buy the IAT stuff seperate and repin it. I think it would be easier to slit the MAF though. That is how it is done on the 15+ models too.

That's how ive done 2 VMP installs on my 13 and then 14.

jn2

Established Member
^that is pretty smart. Now the trick if you are running a stock manifold is where and how to mount the sensor

I have a CJ manifold, so I can tap either a runner along the inside or the plenum itself. On the stock manifold you should be able to tap the bottom rear for it. Would need to check my stock manifold to make sure but i'm pretty sure there is enough room to mount the sensor there.

EDIT: Im not the genius i thought I was for a second there. It's been though of and works better if you use a restore in the OEM IAT wires to trick ECM when nitrous is armed into going to a temp you would never actually hit, like -40*. Then it will run spark modifiers from that box...thats what i'll prob do instead...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread