IRS Drag Racing Coilovers Selection?

03terminatorcobra

Established Member
I'm not trying to be debbie downer, but as someone who REALLY tried to make the IRS work, it's not worth it if your goal is to launch hard and do the 1/4.

If you go to auto, you can probably keep the IRS assuming it's built. If you have a turbo, you can probably keep the IRS assuming it's built. If you don't launch hard and want to keep 60's in the high 1.4's to 1.5's, you can make it last.

If you want low 1.4's/1.3's or quicker, here is what happens when you have a blower car, IRS, and 6 speed. You break. Constantly. Your "built" T-56 will break the output shaft unless you upgraded that. It will happen on a hard launch if you have a built IRS. I promise you that. Your IRS is going to need half shafts (the G force half shafts are by far the best on the market, they aren't going to break), a diff cover with preload bolts (this is going to save your main caps and all kinds of other parts from breaking, including to a point, the center section), a center section (this is the next weak point), then you are still going to break the inner workings of the 8.8 (ring gear, spider gears, clutch pack will need to be upgraded to something like a wave trac, etc).

IT ISN'T WORTH IT. Either don't launch hard and be happy with 1.5's, or go to a solid.

thanks for the input. your point is extremely helpful and is swaying me to consider a solid swap as i only drag race.

black-plasma

Established Member
You also drop ~80lbs or so with the swap. I prefer open track events so I’m sticking with the IRS, really the only reason.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I'm not trying to be debbie downer, but as someone who REALLY tried to make the IRS work, it's not worth it if your goal is to launch hard and do the 1/4.

If you go to auto, you can probably keep the IRS assuming it's built. If you have a turbo, you can probably keep the IRS assuming it's built. If you don't launch hard and want to keep 60's in the high 1.4's to 1.5's, you can make it last.

If you want low 1.4's/1.3's or quicker, here is what happens when you have a blower car, IRS, and 6 speed. You break. Constantly. Your "built" T-56 will break the output shaft unless you upgraded that. It will happen on a hard launch if you have a built IRS. I promise you that. Your IRS is going to need half shafts (the G force half shafts are by far the best on the market, they aren't going to break), a diff cover with preload bolts (this is going to save your main caps and all kinds of other parts from breaking, including to a point, the center section), a center section (this is the next weak point), then you are still going to break the inner workings of the 8.8 (ring gear, spider gears, clutch pack will need to be upgraded to something like a wave trac, etc).

IT ISN'T WORTH IT. Either don't launch hard and be happy with 1.5's, or go to a solid.

I'll be happy with a 1.4 60.... that should put me low 10's id like to think....

Reload469

Established Member
bumping this back up.

few guys said they just bought the new viking setups. anyone install them and test them out yet?

after some searching i found this qa1 double adjustable setup - http://autofabcart.net/79-2004mustangrearcoiloverconversionkit.aspx
has anyone ordered from them?
Mine is at the shop being installed now. Had an issue with a fuel leak that has slowed me down. Should have the car retuned and at the drag strip within a month.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Reload469

Established Member
did you go with the warrior or crusader?
Warriors. They look amazing.
FB_IMG_1521596421601.jpg

03terminatorcobra

Established Member
Warriors. They look amazing.View attachment 1482364

those do look good! im torn between these in the Crusader version since i am making more than 600hp (AM valving) or getting the qa1 double adjustables.

Where did you pick up your set of Vikings from? And who's selling them for the best price?

Wicked46 is a vendor on here who sells them. lethal and beefcake also sell them.

Reload469

Established Member
those do look good! im torn between these in the Crusader version since i am making more than 600hp (AM valving) or getting the qa1 double adjustables.

Wicked46 is a vendor on here who sells them. lethal and beefcake also sell them.
I bought mine through Wicked46. He was great to deal with. He recommended the Warriors for my build since it's a street with light strip duty.

Users who are viewing this thread