Is 100,000 miles too many to put a supercharger on a 5.0 Coyote Mustang?

Michael DalSanto

Established Member
Hello all,

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on putting a supercharger on a 2011 Mustang with 100,000 miles. I am considering purchasing and having installed a Paxton 220SL Supercharger on my 2011 5.0 Coyote Mustang. Just looking to flash the pre-calibrated Paxton tune, not trying to do anything too crazy. This would be mostly for street driving and occasional track use. Engine runs fine with no issues, but as I said it has around 100,000 miles. Is there anything that I would need to get tested on the engine to ensure that it can handle the extra PSI? Is this a foolish thing to do? Are there any necessary or recommended engine upgrades? Worst case scenario, the engine blows up and it's 7k for a replacement crate engine. Would I be right in saying that plus $1500 or so to install it would be my risk? What are the chances of something like that happening?

The only aftermarket upgrades on the car are a Borla Exhaust and a cold air intake, otherwise it is largely in stock condition. If you need to know anything else that I haven't included I'm happy to add.

Thanks in advance to everyone who reads this and any advice that you have.

Michael DalSanto

Established Member
I wouldn't use too much boost though. It could strain the older seals and gaskets.
Thanks everyone for the replies. This is the kit I am looking at.

https://www.paxtonauto.com/product.php?id=274

"Complete Paxton supercharger systems and tuner kits for the 2011-2014 5.0L Mustang GT are shipping now. The complete, fully calibrated, 50-state smog legal system will boost your stock 2011 GT to 615 HP and 475 lb/ft torque with 7.5-8.5 PSI from the NOVI-2200SL supercharger."

Too much?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Troponin

Established Member
Agree with the posts above. A turbo would be better, a centrifugal would probably be a bit more stressful, and a TVS tends to cause the most stress. That being said, just don't max out the boost. Get as much power as you can from getting more air naturally as well as opening up the exhaust. The less pressure you have through the exhaust, from what I understand, the less stress the motor will have too.

THere is so much to be said about tuning and making sure the vehicle is in good running condition too. For instance, I took really good care of my Mustang when I had it. I sold it for my HC several months ago. The guy that bought my Mustang texted me and told me he blew the motor. Car only had about 10k miles on it and he blew it racing someone.

Although high mileage increases the risk, there are many other variables with even greater risk than mileage that will destroy a motor

nxhappy

Established Member
should be fine, just make sure she has good compression across the board. make sure you have it tuned by a reputable tuner. aka lund or vmp...

CV355

_
Established Member
It will be fine.

I stuck a 2.1 KB on a 4.6l 2v with 100k on it and ran it hard- no issues. As long as you don't have compression issues or any existing mechanical issues, you'll be fine.

Reaper14

Established Member
Look on youtube, Brenspeed has been showing a 100k+ mi coyote on their chanel & beating on it on the track. So far so good, I can't recall if it's boosted. But it's a good example how good these cars do with high miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Agree with above ^^ . Also check out yolodouchebag. He has over 100k miles on his with a tvs and trying to go 9's. Daily driven car.

Michael DalSanto

Established Member
Hello everyone. Thank you all for your replies on this. I took them all into consideration before

After a lot of thought, I did end up going forced air on my 2011 5.0 Mustang. I purchased a Paxton Novi 2200SL supercharger from American Muscle. Here is the link to the kit. Here is Paxton's description of the product (you'll notice the same part number listed at the bottom: 1001863SL-P). I purchased the complete kit, so it had the following with it as well:

The Complete Kit option of this NOVI 2200SL Supercharger Upgrade features a polished finish NOVI 2200SL Compressor, 3.80" drive pulley and SCT Programmer to reflash your ECM with a pre-calibrated custom Paxton tune designed to utilize 91 octane fuel. It also includes fuel management upgrades such as high flow fuel injectors and fuel rail spacers. An air inlet assembly, including high-flow roto-molded duct, an Air-to-Air Charge Cooler with 3" mandrel-bent aluminum charge tubes and all necessary hardware are also part of the package.
The Mustang also has Borla exhaust on it that predated my owning the car so I'm not exactly sure what the H-pipe is. I believe the headers are stock. I can take pictures if it's important.

I also did several other upgrades to the suspension and brakes that aren't 100% relevant for this post but I'm happy to share if people are curious or if it turns out to be relevant.

Now, the Paxton site promises 615 horsepower and 475 foot pounds of torque at the crank. I put it on the dyno yesterday and did two pulls in fourth gear which resulted in the following

PULL ONE:
Max Torque: 400.34 at 5350 RPM
Max Power: 462.22 HP at 6250 RPM

PULL TWO
Max Torque: 399.45 ft/lbs at 5300 RPM
Max Power: 475.22 HP at 6780 RPM

Overall I'm happy with this, but the numbers are a little lower than I was hoping. If you ballpark 15% power loss to the wheels that puts me at about 550 at the crank. Just wondering what everyone thought, are these numbers low or about what I should expect? If they are a little low, what is the issue - the tune? the age of the car? the dyno?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks very much in advance.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
Did you tune it while on the dyno or still using the "canned" tune?
I would think you would see more power from a remote tune even if you told them you want it to be a "safe" tune.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't know enough to offer advice on which way you should go from here.
I just know everyone says that once they do a remote or dyno tune, they are much happier with the results. I look at "canned tunes" as something to get your car driveable, nothing else.

LT1Porsche

Established Member
I think the numbers are about right for being untuned. Get it dyno tuned and it will pick up some. I would imagine being able to break into the 500-520whp area is possible.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
That car should put down 390ish stock. With the paxton I'd think you'd be able to crack 500 pretty easy. VMP tunes my car and they do a fine job

Users who are viewing this thread