Is my clutch adjusted too tight?

SonicBlast281

Established Member
Hello svtp. I recently installed a 26 spline input shaft and new a McLeod RST twin disc clutch. The quadrant and the firewall adjuster are from Maximum Motorsports with their oem universal cable. I did not use the supplied one inch spacer in the kit because there was not enough space left over behind the quadrant on the cable. The car currently shifts into gear fine and does not slip at 3k and 4k rpms.(I have not gone to redline because the clutch has less than 200 miles on it.) The catch point is about 1/2 from the floor. However when the car is stopped and I initially let the clutch out the car shutters. Is the shuttering normal when breaking in a twin disc clutch? Or is it adjusted too tight. This car had a 10 spline McLeod Rst on it when I bought it and it did not do this. I have also supplied a picture of about where the firewall adjuster is adjusted to below. If it is adjusted in anymore then what is pictured below the clutch pedal rattles. Figured the forums could at least point me in the right direction. Thank you all in advance for the help.
20170501_140445_zpsfpmdmlrl.gif

01yellercobra

Established Member
It all sounds good to me. Do you have some freeplay at the top when your foot is off the pedal? It could just be the new clutch breaking in. I have the RXT in mine and needed to do some finishing break in miles when I bought the car. But even now if I get lazy the clutch will chatter a little when I'm getting moving. Although I have my doubts about the PO installation skills.

SonicBlast281

Established Member
I did. But I had spun it out a turn or two because my clutch pedal was rattling around. Should it rattle a little bit. I do not have the a spring installed against the clutch fork.

s351

Established Member
My rxt clutch rattle was awful I hated it. I'm using a dyad now, if your clutch is rattling you need to tighten your clutch cable.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Seems like these RXT are a bit finicky depending who you ask? Mine has chattered since day 1, my clutch pedal engages kind of low as well.

Like someone mentioned earlier, if you get "lazy" with this clutch in stop and go traffic, it can make the car sound horrible when chattering, only way to really prevent it, is give it some revs.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My rxt clutch rattle was awful I hated it. I'm using a dyad now, if your clutch is rattling you need to tighten your clutch cable.
Not to hijack this thread, but I'd like to hear your thoughts between the rxt and dyad. Can you pm me if you get a chance?

cj428mach

Established Member
Not to hijack this thread, but I'd like to hear your thoughts between the rxt and dyad. Can you pm me if you get a chance?

I'd be interested to know as well, I love my DYAD and wouldn't change it for the world.

s351

Established Member
So far I think the dyad is more street friendly than the rxt. The rxt did its job just fine, it just was super noisy and chattered like crazy in stop and go traffic. The dyad is not perfect but seems easier to setup, with less noise, it's not noise or chatter free you still get the tinniest amount of that here and there.

The real test is going to be how durable the clutch is I just started to be hard on mine the car is now tuned so we shall see how long it lasts.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
So far I think the dyad is more street friendly than the rxt. The rxt did its job just fine, it just was super noisy and chattered like crazy in stop and go traffic. The dyad is not perfect but seems easier to setup, with less noise, it's not noise or chatter free you still get the tinniest amount of that here and there.

The real test is going to be how durable the clutch is I just started to be hard on mine the car is now tuned so we shall see how long it lasts.

Appreciate that info ^^ the DYAD might be my next clutch.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Been running a South Bend clutch pretty hard and no chatter, slips or rattles. The pedal should not rattle and if it's new and at the floor then as it breaks in you won't be able to shift unless you're firewall adjuster can be screwed out. The pressure plate springs wear in and that's where and why you will need to make adjustments.

s351

Established Member
The one thing I will say is the dyad doesn't like to be road at all if you ride the clutch out you will smell it.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
The one thing I will say is the dyad doesn't like to be road at all if you ride the clutch out you will smell it.

Riding the clutch huh never crossed my mind to do that I guess your input in clutches should be constrained till you absolutely know how to use it.-

s351

Established Member
Oh we have a smart guy here. Sorry to say buttercup there are situations when you have to. I'll remember next time I'm on a hill in stop and go traffic to just pop the clutch. Always internet hero's on this site, would writing slipping the clutch be better for you. Riding the clutch out and slipping it are the same thing, maybe one day I'll be as good as you.

Go on centerforces website it even says clutch does not like to be slipped.

Tool bags like you are why car forums are going to shit.

Users who are viewing this thread