JLT Trunk Lid Lettering Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
JLT Trunk Lid Lettering Install

Applicable to 07-09 GT500

This is a simple and fairly low-buck modification which relocates the “SHELBY” emblems from their assembly line position on the left of the deck lid to the centered location as seen on both vintage and the concept GT500. While not something I would normally consider doing, when A_Gorman dropped off this kit for Christmas last year, I’m not one to look a free modification in the mouth. I soon discovered that there was a bit of a motive behind this gift and that my kit was to “practice” with on my own car, so when he wanted his own car done, I’d already know what I was doing.

From GT500 design team interviews, I understand that the emblems where actually supposed to be centered across the trunk lid, but production concerns found them placed off to the left. One the of the lead team member even went so far as to remark, that if it were his car, he would put the emblems “Where they belong”

1968 GT500:
1353_rear.jpg

As a result this centering of the emblems has become a fairly popular modification.

Since the weather had been improving, I decided to give this kit a go.

The “kit” is two main pieces, a vinyl decal template provided from “Stuck on you” graphics and decals for $20 USD, and an OEM SHELBY letter kit from JLT. The whole thing fits neatly into a letter envelope so shipping cost is minimal, totaling up around $84 USD to Canada ($64 in USA).

Trunk Emblem Template [TEMT-GT500-0709] - $20.00 : JLT PERFORMANCE, Home of the JLT TRUE COLD AIR KIT

These are the chemicals I used during the install, shown left to right; Soap and water, (windex bottle) Cleaner wax, WD40, Quick Detailer, (for claybar) Rubbing Alcohol.

DSC_0915-1.jpg

Here’s a look at the OEM setup:

DSC_0883.jpg

DSC_0884.jpg

First step is to wash the working area with a mild soap and water solution, in preparation for removal of the factory emblems.

DSC_0885.jpg

Using a heat gun will soften the adhesive making it easier to remove the letters, for some inexplicable reason, most wives have a heat gun on their dresser, this unit was snatched, used, and replaced before she was any wiser.

DSC_0886.jpg

It is recommended to use either fishing line or a plastic scraper to remove the letters, I had some mint flavored “fishing line” from a recent trip to the dentist, and it worked great.

DSC_0889.jpg

When finished you should have a pile of letters and a tangle of “Fishing line.”

DSC_0891.jpg

The next step is to carefully remove all of the remaining adhesive from your SHELDY.

DSC_0893.jpg

I used WD40 to soften the adhesive and after a few minutes it simply peeled away using my fingers.

DSC_0894.jpg

However, you may be left with some remaining residue, so use a bit of clay bar and repeat treatments of WD40 to pull the glue off the paint

DSC_0895.jpg

DSC_0896.jpg

Wash the area, but re-wet soapy water for decal installation.

DSC_0901.jpg

DSC_0902.jpg

DSC_0903.jpg

Place the decal on the trunk lid so that the “hole” lines up with this center mark in the brake light.

DSC_0906.jpg

The soapy water allows the decal to float until you have it correctly positioned, measure from the bottom of the spoiler, to the top edge of the decal, and adjust until each letter is even.

Mine were 46mm from decal to spoiler.

DSC_0907.jpg

Dry the areas exposed by the decal and use rubbing alcohol to remove any wax. Now, grab the letter kit, and simply peel and stick each one carefully into position

DSC_0908.jpg

DSC_0909.jpg

Once finished, carefully remove the template:

DSC_0910.jpg

Apply a bit of wax to the left side of the deck lid and you are done.

DSC_0911.jpg

BEFORE:
DSC_0884.jpg

AFTER:
DSC_0914.jpg

Done let the angle of the picture fool you, each letter is 53mm from the spoiler, I had to measure just to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread