LED Bulb Question's

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Ok a friend of mine noticed when cruising behind me I have some burnt out brake bulbs. I'm considering changing over to LED bulbs. I've done some searching on here but have not had much luck. I have a few questions. I need a resistor wired in for the turn signal bulbs so it does not make the sound like a bulb is burnt out? Can I just replace the rear bulb's, brake, reverse and rear turn signal and not do the front turn signal? If you have done this have you had any luck with the ebay bulbs? I believe they are 3157's? Or have you purchased them else were? Thanks everyone.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I'm actually about to do the switch myself. I purchased Phillips Red 3157 bulbs for the brake lights in the back and Morimoto XB white/amber switchbacks for the front. I do have have a different flasher than stock - and I know it doesn't hyper flash when the front bulbs are disengaged. I am hoping they still function properly when I further reduce the load. But if it doesn't; I'll be looking for another flasher designed for LEDs instead of a load resistor.

The only reason I can think of adding a load resistor is if it causes an error message on your dash information center. Our cars are fortunately not that smart.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Yeah I would rather swap a flasher then wire in a resistor. Keep me posted man anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Glad this came up. Just replaced the bulbs in my F150 tails and was looking at the LED bulbs.

big dad

Established Member
The turn on voltage for a diode is .5-.7v if that helps. That would explain why everything is switching to LEDs, including indoor lighting.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I got the Morimoto XB switch backs today.
Normal bulb - not the CK connection. Worked like a charm. The Philips bulbs should be delivered tomorrow.
1TYmtKq.jpg

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
How do you do the resistors?

Just use a suitcase style connector and wire it between the positive and negative wires just prior to the bulb. Not a big ordeal at all.

shb5007

Established Member
Is there a thread on universal LED (interior and exterior) fitment on our cars? I feel like that would be a good thing to have...

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I got my tail light bulbs in today. I'll be installing them tomorrow with comparison pictures and all. They look very interesting.

Looks like they shoot the light back to the reflector and nothing straight out. I'm looking forward to seeing how they work out.

Uc2W199h.jpg

cxLAWvIh.jpg

zzxgr2gh.jpg

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I installed the LED tail lights - and I got to say I like them. They are the same brightness as the stock lights in both parking lights position as they are with the brake/turn lights. Disclosure - I do have the sequential lights wiring in my car.
Side by side LED with original. LED in the left most spot and original bulbs in the other two spots on the right.
wMB514zl.jpg

Image below shows hazard lights on. LEDS on driver's side, Original bulbs on Passenger side.
gn7He2Pl.jpg

[youtube_browser]4EakPQjAoyo[/youtube_browser]

There were really only two issues installing them - first is that these bulbs have to match the polarity of the car. It is not a big deal - just install them with the flashers on. If it doesn't light up - then flip them around and they should light up.

The other issue was self inflicted. I spent an hour chasing my own user error with the brake lights. The issue was the right side brake lights were not turning on.
[youtube_browser]0kED1Ib9NJI[/youtube_browser]
I spent an hour trying to figure out what could be wrong. I checked all the fuses and relays and found no issues until I gave up. I was parking the car back into the garage and realized the right turn signal was active. Brake lights worked correctly once I cancelled the turn signal.
[youtube_browser]6ctF8wuCPCI[/youtube_Browser]

I do have a hyper flasher after all that work (oddly only when the hazard lights are switched on). The turn signals themselves sounds like the flasher doesn't really want to switch on and off - it doesn't sound good. Below is the flasher I had switched to in order to slow down the flashing speed for the sequential tail lights. I imagine it is the equivalent of the Raxiom Version 1 flashers - but at a much cheaper price.
thdBwVfm.jpg
WJ05FWxm.jpg
wyvqHCVb.jpg

Turn signal video
[youtube_browser]rZ69HytVX10[/youtube_browser]

Hazard lights video
[youtube_browser]3yxzDFikupE[/youtube_Browser]

I'll be hunting for a new flasher now that is specifically designed to handle LED conversions.

Last edited:

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I found a solution to the Hyper flash. I know others have mentioned it on other forums - but I can now comfirm it works.

Go to Napa and get the EP27L
uDpuJBgl.jpg

There is one small issue - it flashes 2 to 3 cycles after it is cancelled, but it does not hyperflash. I'm willing to live with this if it is the only issue I will have with it.

I do have the iJDMTOY EP27 flasher being shipped to me (should arrive tomorrow) - and will test that one out too.

The popular one on Amazon - the Novita EP27 - did not solve any of the issues.

EDIT: 6/9/2016
I received and tested the iJDMTOYs flasher - and it works very well for this application. I bought this on on Amazon - and it is half the price of the one at NAPA:
http://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-5-Pin-Electronic-Flasher-Signal/dp/B00W2B52SK

Last edited:

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I found a solution to the Hyper flash. I know others have mentioned it on other forums - but I can now comfirm it works.

Go to Napa and get the EP27L
uDpuJBgl.jpg

There is one small issue - it flashes 2 to 3 cycles after it is cancelled, but it does not hyperflash. I'm willing to live with this if it is the only issue I will have with it.

I do have the iJDMTOY EP27 flasher being shipped to me (should arrive tomorrow) - and will test that one out too.

The popular one on Amazon - the Novita EP27 - did not solve any of the issues.

You are the man. I'm going to have to pick this up and order some bulbs. What bulbs are you running?

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
You are the man. I'm going to have to pick this up and order some bulbs. What bulbs are you running?

I have the Morimoto XB 3157 switchbacks in front. Philips vision Red 3157 in back.

Our cars take the normal bulbs. Do not buy the "CK" bulbs.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread