Longtubes and EGR

Slowbra01

Established Member
Hey guys! So i just got the car back from the shop after getting all the front suspension upgraded, clutch replaced, 03/04 tank and pumps, and Mac longtubes and Xpipe installed.

The shop (Thunder Autosports in Boynton Beach, Fl) told me the tube from the EGR to the header was removed. He said that pipe was messed up so they removed it. I didn't think much of it at the time. But i have a few thoughts, the EGR is still on the upper intake, just with no tube. He told me not to worry about it.

Right now I am driving the car and it drives fine, the RPM's hang a bit after i let off the gas but it eventually comes down. I am deciding on buying a tuner, I do understand that it needs a tune. Still deciding on whether to buy Bama, or SCT. I do understand that the tuner hardware itself is the same... but the lifetime tunes offered by Bama is attractive.

Anyways, I need your thoughts on the direction to take... with the tuner, the EGR can be turned off, and I can get a plate to replace where the EGR valve is.

Or.... Can i buy another connecting tube from the EGR to the header? Because of the longtubes, does the position/location of the bung differ from factory exhaust manifold?

Thanks

Slowbra01

Established Member
Can I just leave the valve in there for now? By leaving the valve in place, is it "opening" by any means since the vacuum line is still connected to it right now.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You can leave it in place. But you should get a tune that turns it off if you're not going to run the EGR.

The EGR port on the header should be in the same place as stock. At least it was on my Bassanis. I kept getting an EGG code when I ran the headers. Could never figure out why so I yanked it all off.

Slowbra01

Established Member
I ordered the SCT/bama tuner....just waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I will definitely have it turned off.

As far as removing all the components, what do I remove and what to I do with the lines that are bundled with other things?

Coosawjack

Established Member
What's the reason for deleting the EGR system.....it actually helps without hurting performance a bit!!??

Slowbra01

Established Member
Like i said....the tube from the valve has already been removed when the longtubes were installed. I'd rather not have to buy the tube and reinstall something that is not necessarily needed.

01yellercobra

Established Member
What's the reason for deleting the EGR system.....it actually helps without hurting performance a bit!!??

I removed mine because no matter what I did I couldn't get rid of the codes. I swapped parts and changed parameters in the tune. With it turned on the car would buck and surge at part throttle. Turn it off and smooth as glass. Since the rest of the car wasn't really legal I decided to ditch the EGR and save myself the headache. If it had been functioning I would have left it.

As for removal, after unbolting everything I cut and capped the vacuum lines behind the intake so I could tuck them into the wrap. For the plugs I just tucked them under the harness itself.

Users who are viewing this thread