Louder than BBQ Tick Questions

sdoo500

Established Member
I know it is impossible to diagnose a "tick" over a forum description but figured I would ask and see if a few things made sense. I originally parked the car last fall because I noticed a tick (much louder than normal coyote tick) and assumed the worst and that I would need a short block. Figured it was maybe rod knock or something of that nature.

Have money put away for a built short block and am going to have someone take a look at what's actually broken next week. A few people have mentioned possible cam phasers or maybe a lash adjuster?

The car ran and drove fine until the day I parked it. The ticking sound is louder underneath the car but I dont know if its just louder because of exhaust. It does not make any noise at all until the car is at temperature and I can't hear it except at idle. Would a cam phaser or potential lifter have these symptoms? Sorry for the questions, just trying to get an idea of what it may be. I would assume if it was rod knock, I would hear it throughout RPM range and at all temperatures. Praying I dont need short block! Car has 34k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread