Lowering s550 engine to clear CJ manifold

williamwelch11

Established Member
Looking for someone who has lowered their 2015 plus coyote engine to clear a cobra jet intake manifold. I believe my pinion angle is off with the new DSS single piece I put in. I have some install questions if anyone has done this.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Tremec has a free app for iPhone and Droid to check pinion angle, measure in 3 places, trans, ds and rear axle housing/center chunk for you IRS guys. Should be even easier for an IRS car since the rear end is in a fixed position, it won't matter if the suspension is loaded or unloaded.

williamwelch11

Established Member
Edit: just re-read the question, so you have already lowered the engine via mounts, correct?

Yes the engine has been lowered 1/2" already. I get a driveline vibe from only 55-65 mph. I should rephrase and say the transmission tail shaft angle has been altered which I believe is giving me the vibe. It is getting looked at this weekend. The main question I'm trying to ask is if anyone has lowered the engine and put in the mounts, have they had an issue like this? If they have not had an issue like this, how far did they lower the engine? If they have had an issue, how have they resolved it and or what was the problem?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
My buddy just did a CJ on his 15, but he did not lower the motor, instead he removed the hood blanket and trimmed|notched the hood.

Regarding pinion angle on an IRS car, not sure there is much you can do aside from checking it and raising/lowering the motor. I don't think any adjustment can be made at the differential since its fixed in place. You might consider notching the hood and raising the motor back up, but before doing that I'd just check the angle to start off and verify if its within spec. From there I'd mark the DS and then clock it, if it still persist then I'd put the stock DS back in for comparison. If those things don't work I'd personally notch the hood and bring the motor back up.

BTW was this DSS single piece DS in the car prior to mounts being lowered? If so, no issues before lowering? FWIW the reason I ask is the shaft could just be out of balance, but I'd check the pinion angle before jumping to conclusions.

williamwelch11

Established Member
My buddy just did a CJ on his 15, but he did not lower the motor, instead he removed the hood blanket and trimmed|notched the hood.

Regarding pinion angle on an IRS car, not sure there is much you can do aside from checking it and raising/lowering the motor. I don't think any adjustment can be made at the differential since its fixed in place. You might consider notching the hood and raising the motor back up, but before doing that I'd just check the angle to start off and verify if its within spec. From there I'd mark the DS and then clock it, if it still persist then I'd put the stock DS back in for comparison. If those things don't work I'd personally notch the hood and bring the motor back up.

BTW was this DSS single piece DS in the car prior to mounts being lowered? If so, no issues before lowering? FWIW the reason I ask is the shaft could just be out of balance, but I'd check the pinion angle before jumping to conclusions.

I have removed the hood blanket, the reason for lowering the motor was so I didn't have to cut the hood. And yes the only way to adjust driveline angle is the engine height. I'm not worried about it, i just wanted to see if anyone had input. The motor mounts are really easy to adjust anyway. The steps you mentioned are exactly what I'm going to do. Check angle, if bad raise motor, vibe continues index and rotate, if still continues put in the stock and check. The ds is a brand new aluminum from DSS. I do not think it is out of balance but if all else fails I will send it off to get looked at by DSS. If you don't mind could you send me some pics of your buddies hood notch? so I can get an estimate size of what possibly needs to be trimmed up, thank you.

williamwelch11

Established Member
Could you shim the transmission down with some washers under the cross member? 1/4" might bring it back into alignment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure, I can add 1/4" spacers back on the engine mounts. I lowered it 1/2" already. That will be the first step after I measure the driveline angles.

Kiohtee

Established Member
As someone who is about to do the whole motor lowering process and slap a Cobra Jet on, this worries me. I am automatic with a stock DS though.

williamwelch11

Established Member
As someone who is about to do the whole motor lowering process and slap a Cobra Jet on, this worries me. I am automatic with a stock DS though.

I'll get the angles checked when the motor is 1/2" lower and let you know what they are. Whatever I add to get the angles true again I'll post it. I'll tell you one thing though, lowering the motor makes the front end handle likes it's on rails. It feels incredible! The back does feel rather light though.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
@williamwelch11 ..sorry for the delay, here's the pic of my buddies car. He did not lower the motor, instead he cut the hood.

2dv3a0g.png

williamwelch11

Established Member
@williamwelch11 ...posted this in your other thread as well. Here is a shot of the cut my buddy made to clear the CJ with stock motor mounts.

2dv3a0g.png
Ended up being just harmonic resonance from the poly motor mounts and single piece ds. All the angles checked good, and the car is extremely nimble feeling with the motor lowered. Thanks for the pictures!

Users who are viewing this thread