Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Maaco

Votes: 26 81.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

makevelie187

Established Member
i need to get my car repainted and i was wondering what place is better to get it done at maaco or earl scheib iv herd bad things about bolth and was wondering if anyone here has any input on which one is best i just want a nice cheap paint job. which place is better????

maddrabitt

Established Member
Nice and cheap dont usually go together. Ive seen cars painted by both and I would paint my own car before I paid either one to do it. Ive seen 1 car from earl scheib that the owner did all the prep himself and staged the car, that looked like it would be good if you're just trying to doll the car up to sell it. Other then that I would recommend you Krylon the car yourself and save the money

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Maaco is better in my opinion. My father had a car painted at Maaco (he did the prep work) and I honestly can say I was impressed. Best $400 paint job in the world. It was white, so maybe it was easier to 'hide' things under it, but in my expirience if you prep the car...they do a decent job for the money.

GH1086

Established Member
I have never had any car painted but I always assumed that the reason why they ****ed up the paint so bad was the prep work, as in they did none. I would say that if you do all the prep work they will do a pretty good job.

Mean Mr Mustang

Established Member
I worked for Maaco for about a month back in 93, and after working there I would not take my there to be painted even if they paid me to do it. The prep work for the economy paint job consisted of using a scuff pad to sand the paint. Then a cheap coat of primer was shot on the car followed by a few thin coats of color. The paint job had a 30 day warranty on it and you were also not instructed to wash your car in this same 30 day period. After the 30 days is up and you take the car to the car wash the paint ends up peeling off under the pressure washer and you are SOL at that point.
You can get better results from them if you do your own prep work and pay for better paint to be used, but the cost adds up quickly and you are almost better off going to a real body shop to get the work done.
This was back in 93 when I worked there, so I dont know if there quality has improved any since then. I doubt if it did.

Edit: Maaco > Earl Scheib though.

Last edited:

CATMACH

Crazy
Established Member
A firey moat with flame proof aligators, IN
I have had cars painted at both places, and they both looked pretty good for the aprox. 2 yrs I had each car after the paint. Ol Earl took care of a bunch of rust on my 84 capri and it held up even driving the car year round. If you can, see some of their work because Im sure every shop is different.

Last edited:

red03cobra

2003 Cobra & 1990 Notch
Established Member
I had my 1990 Notch painted at Earl Scheib for about $454; it was not perfect and I had a body shop repaint the trim and get rid of the overspray and fix some interior work for another $900. Not bad for the price. Mine was white over original white paint.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Unless you do all the prep work yourself or have it done somewhere else you a better off spraying it flat black. Also you better paint it white or some other light color. Don't even think about black. Nice and Cheap don't go together when you are talking about a paint job. I'd go with Maaco if I had to choose.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I'll be doing a Maaco special on my truck. I'll do the minimal prep work.

Of course I plan to beat the shit out of it anyways, so an expensive paint job isn't nessesary.

I heard from numerous ppl that if the prep work is done elsewhere, the paint jobs come out looking pretty good.

Teal94BirdV8

5.0 HO
Established Member
I'd reccomend Maaco..

I did the prep work on my LX, but chose the Ambassador package...
dsc02370.jpg

And the previous owner of the SC chose the upgraded package (forgot the name, but it includes prep, and clear coat)
dsc02503.jpg

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Earl Scheib used to advertise "Any Car Any Color $39.95" and you got what you paid for. Prices have risen over the years, quality stayed the same.

svtguy22

Established Member
Macco is better... But I do recommend getting a better paint job then their $300 special... All their paint is very cheap and doesnt last very long... A good paint job will run you about $1600 for a single stage paint.

bchisom99

Established Member
maddrabitt said:
Nice and cheap dont usually go together. Ive seen cars painted by both and I would paint my own car before I paid either one to do it. Ive seen 1 car from earl scheib that the owner did all the prep himself and staged the car, that looked like it would be good if you're just trying to doll the car up to sell it. Other then that I would recommend you Krylon the car yourself and save the money

I can +1 on doing about two weeks of prep work...the car was smooth as glasssss, and came back looking like birds had crapped on it before it was painted....at the Scheibster. . .

DDL 2004

1st Sunburst SN-95
Established Member
TheMac said:
depends whos holding the gun

AMEN... I had a connect at a Maaco's in San Antonio who painted 2 cars for me and they came out damn near perfect. Little overspray though and that was because of time constraints...

BTW, I did all my body work and he did all the masking and spraying. If I did my own masking I could have easily avoiding the overspray and got factory finish paint jobs for less than $550!

:rockon:

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
Ok I'll chime in on this one.....

Earl Jibe- all corporate owned and operated. Bottom line is the bottom line. Enough said

MAACO- 78% of them are individually owned and operated. If the owner follows the MAACO formula (by their playbook and process), you get a quality paint job vs the dollars you spend. If they choose to run it the way they want to, use inferior products, and have poorly trained staff, then you get less than what you paid for. The best thing to do is look in their lot at the cars ready for delivery. See if they masked things off properly, check to see if there is overspray or runs/sags in the paint...or, does the car look nice and shiny as it should?????? The delivery lot is the best place to judge the overall quality of each shops work............

I am a bit biased, as I am in the process of opening a MAACO franchise here in NJ....

Bill S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread