Maybe a a possible tune issue?!?!?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I would do both the compression and leak down test as suggested above a few times. That should help you narrow it down. If you just pull the heads again now blindly you're in a guessing game and could be looking in the wrong spot.

Unless someone really messed up installing those cam followers they don't just fall out unless there's an issue. Generally they jump out when a valve seat drops. This hangs the valve partially open and the cam follower gets slack and jumps out. Since you just had head work done I mention it.

gt347mustang

Established Member
I haven't did that yet. I'm pretty sure it won't be good either judging by the way it's running. I have thought about checking the intake gaskets, but I'm not convinced they're even bad.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Are you posting just to document you work, or are you actually trying to get help here? Just curious because it seems like you're aimlessly going about this, and not in the right direction.

etp2828

Established Member
Are you posting just to document you work, or are you actually trying to get help here? Just curious because it seems like you're aimlessly going about this, and not in the right direction.
I'm posting because someone may have had all the same symptoms I have had and they may chime in. I have tried a lot of the obvious things and I should have noticed a difference in the way my car is running by now. There is something going on and I usually would have figured it out by now. I'm not against trying anything to help me narrow it down.

gt347mustang

Established Member
I'm posting because someone may have had all the same symptoms I have had and they may chime in. I have tried a lot of the obvious things and I should have noticed a difference in the way my car is running by now. There is something going on and I usually would have figured it out by now. I'm not against trying anything to help me narrow it down.

From the beginning we've been saying to leak it down and compression test it. Do this and report back, then we can help you decide next steps.

etp2828

Established Member
I would do both the compression and leak down test as suggested above a few times. That should help you narrow it down. If you just pull the heads again now blindly you're in a guessing game and could be looking in the wrong spot.

Unless someone really messed up installing those cam followers they don't just fall out unless there's an issue. Generally they jump out when a valve seat drops. This hangs the valve partially open and the cam follower gets slack and jumps out. Since you just had head work done I mention it.
Yes head work was done in mid 2016. I'm sure that cam followers dont just come out either because they in there pretty good. It just doesn't add up though. I know when I pulled the plugs the number one plug was pretty clean and that's running it after reinstalling the cam follower. The 2,3,4 plugs just fouled out. In a previous post I mentioned the idle would go up and down. I have a 99 ford lightning and when it did that one of the fuel pumps wasn't working. It would have a hard time starting and all the symptoms my mustang is doing.

cj428mach

Established Member

Bingo.

etp2828

Established Member
So in pulling the plugs to do the compression tests in the known cylinders that aren't working. I noticed the 1 and the 5 cylinder spark plugs are clean. All other cylinders seem to be working just fine. I think it may a coincidence that just those 2 cylinders are having this issue. Think there may be some kind of electrical issue going on.

Users who are viewing this thread