MGW Gen2 - A Closer Look

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Every once in while somebody figures out a way to do something better than everyone else. You know that tiresome phrase about thinking outside the box? In the case of a replacement for the woefully inadequate factory GT500 shifter, George at MGW has done just that. I'd like to share what I've learned about the inner workings of his second generation Mustang TR6060 shifter that will hopefully allow for a better understanding as to why it really is that good.

I've documented just about everything possible with respect to the factory shifter and it's design faults in numerous threads here at SVTP. The bottom line is that it is a low cost unit, chock full of deflection and inefficiency. Many have suffered high rpm "lockout" or "grind" which makes for a really lousy driving experience on an otherwise good car. While the factory shifter can be improved, in the end you are still stuck with the "pendulum style swing" architecture. For those unfamiliar with any of what I just wrote, I suggest you watch the following video George did on the matter.

[video=youtube;DHXYSjOuWzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHXYSjOuWzw[/video]

zIMG_6429-Editz.jpg

I installed a Gen2 last fall just before the weather took a turn. I wanted to tear it apart for a closer look but simply didn't have the time. So when I had the opportunity this spring, I pulled the unit back out of the car and completely disassembled it. I decided to dimension each and every part with hand sketches and then transfer all of it into Solidworks, a CAD program that allows you to analyze geometry, material properties, stresses, etc, as well as to assemble each and every individual part into a working assembly that would mirror the real thing. Every fillet, chamfer, radius, thread...everything, was dimensioned. It took me a couple of weeks and that included time on the weekends as well. I admit to struggling at certain times, for example, when trying to execute a variable chamfer on a curved surface. In the end, I figured it all out and learned quite a bit. So what I'd like to do here is provide a mix of CAD imagery along with the actual hardware to better illustrate what makes this shifter so good.

THE SHAFT

A 1" round hardened stainless steel shaft/joint are what connect the shifter linkage to the output shaft on the factory TR6060. Here are some sketches (some fully rendered) I did with the colors changed at times for better contrast. I did this because it can be difficult to see all the detail on black parts due to shadowing.

xMGW%20GT500%20shifter%20plan%20view.jpg

The shaft glides through a precision machined bronze bearing. The bearing is isolated from the body, or "box" of the shifter, by a layer of rubber which wraps around the circumference of the bearing such that the bearing doesn't actually touch the box. This is done for NVH, something George has addressed throughout on this unit. If I change the transparency of the upper box (or remove it), you can see exactly what I'm referring to.

MGW%20GT500%20shifter%20assembly%20partial%20trans%20%20parent.gif

xMGW%20GT500%20shifter%20getting%20there6.jpg

The rubber shown above is fairly hard in durometer and allows for zero movement or deflection.

THE ARMS

As eager as I am to jump to the internals, I'd like to address the subcomponents that attach to the main box first. With the shaft out of the way I'd like to detail the arms and their supporting hardware. Constructed of CNC billet 6061-T6, these variable radius gems are what connect to shifter box to the TR6060 case (or rear housing anyway). While the factory uses tubular steel tied into a welded frame, the Gen2 arms (they are actually mirror images of each other so that you can install either one on either side) bolt to the box at the rear and use of the factory pins at the front.

George made quite an effort at the front of the arm to ensure NVH isolation as well as a deflection free joint. The factory failed miserably here with excessive deflection that allows the entire shifter to move anytime a shift is attempted. Instead of a single piece of rubber (or poly) such as factory, George engineered machined recesses in each arm that accept precision molded high durometer rubber bushings, each covered with a stainless cap and finished with a sleeve that slides through the entire assembly to allow the factory pins to glide through. Here's an exploded view of a relevant sketch of the arms/bushings.

xMGW%20GT500%20arm%20and%20hardware%20explode%20sk%20%20etch.gif

The arms provide for a stiff and extremely stable connection to the transmission, with just the right durometer bushing.

THE REAR BUSHING/MOUNT

While the factory chose a buttery soft bushing "encapsulated in a sheetmetal bracket" methodology, George again took a different approach. He machines a beautiful housing that captures a proprietary diameter, large mass, rubber bushing which is then locked into place with a stainless steel cover plate. The bracket is bolted directly to the underside of the transmission tunnel (as factory) but uses two CNC machined pins which slide into the bushing and connect to the shifter box.

MGW%20GT500%20partial%20assembly.jpg

If I wasn't dimensioning anything I would have missed a lot here. To begin with, the rubber bushing is absolutely perfect. I have yet to see ANY OEM or aftermarket company produce a bushing like this to such exacting tolerances. The corners are sharp and voids simply don't exist (this goes for all of the rubber bushings George supplies). It fits perfectly into the machined housing.

xIMG_7623.jpg

Sketching this part was a joy. I could see into George's mind with every cut, extrusion, radius, etc. He designed the bushing to be symmetrical to ease in manufacturing and installation. Here's a quick render that came out pretty good.

MGW%20rear%20mount%20render.jpg

So you have NVH isolation from the shaft coming in, the arms that connect to the box, as well as the rear mounting bracket. Carefully selected durometers and well executed designs that separate "metal from metal" while maintaining a firm overall structure.

THE BOX AND REMAINING HARDWARE

The box is actually two 6061-T6 CNC machined halves that are bolted together.

MGW%20GT500%20shifter%20getting%20there.jpg

xMGW%20GT500%20upper%20lower%20shaft%20bushing%20a%20%20nd%20boot%20render.gif

The halves lock in the bronze bearing, allowing the shaft to slide in and out as well as to rotate as necessary. At the end of the shaft resides a cup that bolts on and allows the poly ball to fit inside. This is where George's design really shines. Ditching the factory pendulum design and substituting one with a shaft that travels on a single axis makes for a far more accurate mechanism. Here's a cut section of the box which allows you to see inside.

xMGW%20GT500%20cutaway%20render.jpg

The pivot ball cup.

xIMG_7574.jpg

The poly ball that fits inside the pivot cup is attached to stick portion of the assembly that rotates within a trunion. It consists of the ball and a CNC machined stainless stick, topped off with yet another isolation assembly.

An exploded view of the shift handle isolator. Again, George has separated any chain or path that NVH can follow, were it to make it this far. Precision molded rubber bushings make for a truly exacting assembly.

xMGW%20GT500%20isolator%20explode.jpg

The above assembly fits through and rotates about the trunion (which is then attached to the upper half of the box). The trunion uses CNC bushings that serve to allow for the handle to move left and right as well as fore and aft. The bushings have grooves cut into them to allow for grease retention. The two rubber bushings you see serve to isolate the trunion from the box.

xMGW%20trunion%20assembly%20explode.jpg

An aside, the trunion was one of those areas that proved to be a challenge with a number of complex contours. Solidworks wouldn't let me do a variable chamfer, so I had to section and do a variable radius, delete face/fill, etc. Head scratching at times, I ended up learning quite a bit and was thankful for the challenge.

xMGWWWWWWWWW%20swept%20cut%20variable%20FILLET.jpg

Armed with a better understanding of certain parts and assemblies, here is another section/transparency that illustrates how the components integrate.

xMGW%20GT500%20clearance%20check%20with%20transpar%20%20ency%20changed%20on%20pivot%20ball%20arm.gif

xMGW%20GT500%20cut1.jpg

If I hide the box, arms, trunion, etc, you can note the amount of isolation that this entire mechanism embodies. The MGW has the best isolation I've ever seen in a shifter, factory or aftermarket. George has designed a lot of shifters over the years and took the best of each and figured out how to make it work within the GT500 framework. You can see the multiple isolation fronts pretty clearly below.

xrenderrr.jpg

It really was a joy to draw and assemble the shifter in a virtual world as well as reassembling the actual unit out in my shop. The individual parts fit together into a complete shifter just as good in real life as they did on the computer. Pretty darn amazing.

xMGW%20GT500%20shifter%20COMPLETE%20sketch.jpg

MGW%20shifter%20COMPLETE%20with%20logo.jpg

xIMG_7903-Edit.jpg

xIMG_7906-Edit.jpg

xMG_7920-Edita.jpg

xIMG_7925-Edit.jpg

xIMG_7927-Edit.jpg

xIMG_7931-Edit.jpg

In closing, a couple of things. I shared with George my intention to study his shifter in depth. We joked about my being on the payroll for an offshore "manufacturing" company (of which I am most definitely not) and I made it clear that I wouldn't share dimensions, etc. He was aware of the challenges I faced as he went through them on a larger scale when he took what he had in his head, put it into the computer, and started prototyping his Gen2 shifter. He offered to help me with the arms and their variable radius and I turned him down, wanting to be able to do it on my own regardless of how challenging it was. I ended up figuring out a way to sketch the arms with the utmost accuracy that was a bit easier than the method I used for everything else. In the end, I had a digitized assembly from which I could now converse with George from a much better perspective than I previously had.

George doesn't stand still and is constantly brainstorming, searching for a way to be more efficient in terms of manufacturing as well as to improve the shifters themselves. Hence why the last run of a certain shifter may deviate a little from the next. We talked about this at length and have had some great conversations about continual improvement. That is the nice thing about Solidworks, as I have been able to run the shifter through a few "studies" in search of any constructive suggestions - a rather daunting task considering how far George has taken this already.

xMGW%20delta%20study%20shaft%20moving%20forward.gif

I also wanted to thank V, my trusted friend. She's gone now but managed to sit with me while I painstakingly documented this entire effort, making it that much easier.

xIMG_20150510_135246_930.jpg

Tob

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Awesome job Tob! This shifter looks solid, well engineered and high quality. Great write up. Now I want one, too.
I guess I put it on my build list, as I probably want it down the road anyways and now, as the transmission is off the car, getting it in is peanuts...

Oh well, just more $$ to spend :D... I hopefully recover this with some cheap deals on other parts I need...

Love it!

LEXiiON

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Very nice Tob. After my aftermarket shifter experiences with NVH on my 03', I have been leery of the extra NVH with the GT500 that is typically a result of this modification. After reading this analysis, and all the effort that George put in to limiting NVH affects, really has me considering this as my next addition.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Amazing job Tob. This Gen 2 literally transformed my driving experience from awesome to HOLY SH*T!!

Well done to George as well cause... well.. he DID engineer it. ;)

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
I always look forward to read your threads Tob, and as always insightful and educating.
This made me more exited about getting mine installed.

Thank you for the great review, and thanks to George for the great product.

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
Man.. after this thread and the time spent I feel guilty not buying one.. so I went to the site to see what this $1000 shifter cost.. and am I seeing it wrong.. it is $405??!! I am ordering one now and don't need one on my 14 really.. but after seeing this and it being affordable.. its a done deal..

Thanks for the awesome write up

10 sec L

Established Member
Thank you for the insight Tob, you really painted a pic that anybody can understand.
As I said on the other forum, I will sto.p and see George on my trip to Fla

michael kellam

Established Member
Tob I use these modeling tools daily. Be careful or you will end up modeling everything in sight. Good job.

Now you need to model your own parts but avoid manifolds that is what we all have chosen for our first piece. :)

Mike

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Funny you say that Mike. I look at everything from a design perspective. The materials and processes used, the general design, the order I would use if sketching, etc. You can't get away from it as I'm sure you well know.

I was working on a hybrid shifter design that would use the factory framework but with solid bushings, a spherical bearing as the shifter stick pivot, etc.

completeshifterassembly2.jpg

completeshifterassembly3.jpg

completeshifterassembly1.jpg

It would have been low cost but there was one major issue I couldn't get away from - the pendulum design. As I've mentioned, once I saw George's Gen2 I shit canned the effort. It was immediately apparent that any shifter which uses the factory design is second rate, at best.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
great write up as usual Tob. I cannot believe how bad he factory shifter is, or is it how good this unit is? I'm also thinking of getting the blowfish shifter mount once it becomes available. It's currently available for the MT82.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I watched the video and I thought George was going to explain why the Gen II was better than the Gen I but I don't recall it being brought up. Perhaps I missed something. I have the Gen I, I've had an MGW shifter in every mustang I've ever owned, and I'd like to know if it's worth swapping the Gen I for the Gen II. Tob or anyone else have any input on this? I'm kind of annoyed because I purchased my Gen I new like a month or two before the new one came out.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
great write up as usual Tob. I cannot believe how bad he factory shifter is, or is it how good this unit is? I'm also thinking of getting the blowfish shifter mount once it becomes available. It's currently available for the MT82.

I'd avoid any bracket that ties the shifter back to the transmission, beyond the arms and shaft that actuate a shift. That rear body mount helps to dissipate NVH "waves" that might make it that far. Are you having an issue with your Gen2?

I watched the video and I thought George was going to explain why the Gen II was better than the Gen I but I don't recall it being brought up. Perhaps I missed something. I have the Gen I, I've had an MGW shifter in every mustang I've ever owned, and I'd like to know if it's worth swapping the Gen I for the Gen II. Tob or anyone else have any input on this? I'm kind of annoyed because I purchased my Gen I new like a month or two before the new one came out.

Brian, George's first generation GT500 shifter was far more precise than that of the factory shifter which gave it a much more direct feel. George abandoned the pendulum design it uses in favor of a far more accurate mechanism with his Gen2. He has used the phrase "bolt action rifle" when describing it at times as the shaft now rotates on a single axis instead of swinging one way or another. You can sense the difference immediately.

The first generation GT500 shifter also incorporated an adjustable throw that George patented as well. It allowed you to alter the length from the pivot point of the stick to the bottom of the shifter (where it attaches to the actuation rod) and as such, alter the throw. One side effect was increased "notchiness" as well as increasing the propensity to be locked out of a shift when attempted at high rpm. Lesson learned, George incorporated a shift/throw that meshed well with the synchronizers as opposed to trying to force them into place faster than they liked (causing the "grind" in many cases).

I understand your angst, especially since you were so close. But as I intimated, nobody expected a design such as his Gen2 to come along. He continually improves his product line so I'd expect some difference between his latest run and the one I even installed. I spent a fair amount of money on factory pendulum style shifters trying to get it just right. In the end I walked away from an inferior design and moved on.

zIMG_6627-Editz.jpg

michael kellam

Established Member
Funny you say that Mike. I look at everything from a design perspective. The materials and processes used, the general design, the order I would use if sketching, etc. You can't get away from it as I'm sure you well know.

I was working on a hybrid shifter design that would use the factory framework but with solid bushings, a spherical bearing as the shifter stick pivot, etc.

completeshifterassembly1.jpg

It would have been low cost but there was one major issue I couldn't get away from - the pendulum design. As I've mentioned, once I saw George's Gen2 I shit canned the effort. It was immediately apparent that any shifter which uses the factory design is second rate, at best.

how many hours do you have modeling the gen 2? after reviewing it a 2nd time i noticed the "not easy to model" details. if you have access to the tools you may like "AUTODESK INVENTOR"
i am using this for custom creations per instance. our CNC machine works best with this software.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I'd avoid any bracket that ties the shifter back to the transmission, beyond the arms and shaft that actuate a shift. That rear body mount helps to dissipate NVH "waves" that might make it that far. Are you having an issue with your Gen2?

I've had the grind/lock out a couple of times since replacement. But that could be attributed to my clutch. Driving around town and slight romps it is much better than the factory piece. I do have some NVH, I don't remember what rear bushing I used. I just need to get under there and see.

I was thinking the direct mount to the trans would make things even better, but it sounds like it's not a good idea?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Mike,

I didn't track hours that were specific to modeling but I'd guess I have over 80 between dimensioning (measuring and sketching on paper) and then sketching in Solidworks. Rendering took increasing amounts of time as the assembly became more detailed (obviously) and really tested the limits of my aged computer. I'm happy with Solidworks aside from having to figure out workarounds when simple default commands don't exist. The trunion George designed may look like a simple piece but in reality is was fairly complex. The feature tree for the trunion was pretty lengthy by the time I got done with it. I still had quite a bit to do even at this point...

lected%20delete%20and%20fill%20and%20this%20was%20the%20result%20a%20variable%20radius%20chamfer.jpg

This is where I consider the MGW hardware a cut above. Ingenious design aside, MGW is equipped with quite a few large scale CNC "machines" with some very capable operators. George knows each and every machine from top to bottom, something most designers have no clue about. So from concept, design, and manufacturing, George is so immersed in the work that he can implement design changes very rapidly without red tape limitations or the typical slow moving corporate structure.

Users who are viewing this thread