Need opinions on buying AUTO 2017 5.0 vs manual.

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
So I have been a manual guy since I started driving 20 years ago. My last car I sold two years ago was a manual base 2014 5.0. I loved it, but I had to DD it for a few weeks before I sold it. About two hours total a day. And by the end of that time period, I was so sick of driving the car. I sold it, and have been driving normal cars since.

But very soon, Im going to get back into a new 5.0. All I can think about is that last car, and how sick of driving it I was at the end. I know I will DD my new car a few days a week when its nice out, but I do not want to ruin the experience of it from that. Im thinking an auto car might be the way to go. The wife wants to be able to drive it too.

Now heres my issue with the auto, specifically the mustang. The other two cars out there have newer 8 speed autos, and those transmissions are awesome. The camaro one is nice but the challenger one is like driving a GTR DCT. Its sick.

Is there any way to get the trans to shift faster through tuning for the mustang. I really dont want to buy a different brand just because their trans is better. Also are there any rumors about the mustang getting a better auto for 2018??

What about the guys that have bought an auto 2015+ 5.0? How are they at the track and on the street when you are wanting to drive it like you stole it. I dont want to be bored with the car, but the stop and go with a manual is even more of a minus for me.

Any opinions from owners will be appreciated. I really like the idea of being able to cruise to work in style and comfort, but then be able to run consistent times at the track on a tire.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Angry50

Established Member
My opinion the auto is the for drag racers and the manual is for people who like to slap gears. can you track race in the auto? sure, i doubt it will be as rewarding and a tune will help the shift speed and firmness but there is going to be delay from when you hit the button to when it shifts. the s550 manual is pretty easy in my opinion for city traffic.

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
Yeah I wont be hitting a road course with it very much at all. But I will be drag racing it probably 2-3 weekends a month in summer. Then like I said, the occasional drive to work once or twice a week when its sunny and warm. The wife might use it for coffee runs too during the week when Im at work and shes at home with it. It will also see the local car show circut too.

Slapping gears is not in my interests anymore. Just as detailing. The next thing I have to sort out is what color will require the lowest amount of maintenance. Also if something happens and I need to have a panel painted, I dont want to worry about matching the color either. But thats a different thread. lol

As for the auto thing, Im sold on it. I just need some reassurance its going to still be fun to rip on, on the street. I wont be using the paddles if they are laggy. For the record, the paddles on the challenger are ferrari level fast. They are just disgusting. But I really want another mustang.

Maybe wait for the 2018 anouncement?

Last edited:

thehunterooo

Established Member
People expect either the 8 speed or 10 speed in the 2018 mustang so if that is important for you I would wait and see what they do put out. Will be worth the wait considering how fast the A8 Camaros and scat packs are compared to their manual counterparts.

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
Yeah they do move out nice. I have been eyeing the new camaro, but I just cant bring myself to move away from Ford. I love the mustangs, and the prices are awesome. They are the best bang for your buck so far.

Shaun@AED

For all-motor cars I recommend the M6.
If you want a 1/4 mile boosted application, go A6.

Sport mode in the A6 feels good/fun to drive, but the gear ratios are not ideal for 1/4 mile racing NA, for boost they are OK.
You can still go fast with the A6 on motor, it just takes more than an M6. The A6 transmission is 200lbs, MT82 is 108lbs.

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
I will forsure be getting a procharger or vortech within the first year. Thats no doubt going to happen. Not much else though other than a good set of slicks/skinnies. I want to run deep 10s with only the blower and a tire setup. Should happen. Maybe ill get a converter at the same time.

5.0jake

Established Member
I will forsure be getting a procharger or vortech within the first year. Thats no doubt going to happen. Not much else though other than a good set of slicks/skinnies. I want to run deep 10s with only the blower and a tire setup. Should happen. Maybe ill get a converter at the same time.

In your case I'd wait for the 10 speed auto gt or strongly consider the Scatpack or SS.
I use the paddles all the time in my GT and feel they are okay but could definitely respond quicker. If you will be daily driving in heavy traffic and are more concerned with straight-line performance (especially if going F/I), auto is the way to go imo. I don't miss the clunky feel of the mt82 in my past GT at all.

I also have a MK7 GTI PP to satisfy my manual shifting itch but of course having a second performance car isn't an option for everyone.

Last edited:

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
Yeah Im totally over manual cars. The happiness for me comes from being able to crack off 10's, then on the way home eat a cheese burger while talking on the phone as my heated seats are warming my ass. There is no desire for a stripped down racecar anymore. I can afford it, so I want all the toys and I want the speed to match.

Otherwise i'd just get a GT350. Shame that car doesnt have an auto yet. Im sure it will someday, atleast I hope.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
i have an auto ,and the primary reason i didnt buy a manual was the mt-82, if a magnum came stock i would have bought a manual. Manuals are more fun to drive but autos are faster track cars. and a circle d 5c converter really makes autos alot of fun over a stock auto.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Mine has access to her vehicles. Trust me, she isn't missing anything by not driving the Mustang.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
the 6r80 is one tough trans and there are tons of examples of FI cars throwing 800-1000 horsepower at them (on this forum) and them living.

If you are going for single digit drag times you would be crazy to buy an mt82 car.

My worthless opinion.

DarkMach1

Established Member
i have an auto ,and the primary reason i didnt buy a manual was the mt-82, if a magnum came stock i would have bought a manual. Manuals are more fun to drive but autos are faster track cars. and a circle d 5c converter really makes autos alot of fun over a stock auto.

This guy nailed it. If the mustang came with anything but the crappy mt82 id be driving a manual. I chose the auto because it is the better trans.

Users who are viewing this thread