Need opinions on T56 rebuild.

olympic

Established Member
I'm looking to fix up my old T56 (replaced with a magnum) and put it up for sale. I have almost no experience rebuilding transmissions so I'm looking for some recommendations on what parts to replace.

Problems I had with this trans:

-occasional difficulty engaging first gear.
-impossible to speed shift 1 through 4. The trans would always lock you out of the next gear for a few tenths of a second. No grinding though.
-it would never downshift from 6th to 5th. 5-6 fork pads were broken so that may have been the cause.

On to the pics!

First gear. Pretty chewed up so it definitely should be replaced. This would explain the occasional difficulty engaging first.

20171122_033642[1].jpg

Second gear. A little out of focus but I think it looks ok.

20171122_033908[1].jpg

Third gear. Again, not too bad.

20171122_034207[1].jpg

Fourth gear, looks real nice to me.

20171122_034338[1].jpg

Here's the blocker rings, they all look pretty good to my untrained eye.
20171122_034450[1].jpg

20171122_034512[1].jpg

20171122_034642[1].jpg

20171122_034702[1].jpg

Thoughts?

stang910

Established Member
Looking at the pics you posted and description of your issues I would say you had a clutch disengagement issue and your trans was fine excluding the shift pad. Put some bronze pads in it if you want to spend a little money. The Ford service manual should have the specs and procedure you want for replacing the blocker rings.

olympic

Established Member
Looking at the pics you posted and description of your issues I would say you had a clutch disengagement issue and your trans was fine excluding the shift pad. Put some bronze pads in it if you want to spend a little money. The Ford service manual should have the specs and procedure you want for replacing the blocker rings.

Thanks, you may be correct. The clutch seemed to engage/release properly but the pedal was incredibly heavy so something wasn't right. I didn't notice the clutch dragging but I never really went looking for it either.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Your profile says Indiana, I'm up In Canada so shipping or pick up would likely be an issue.

I️ guess shipping is what it is, so I️ think if the price is right for a disassembled transmission. Also the shaft looks blueish and disassembling is just as important so I’d be somewhat pretentious that all parts and bearings aren’t damaged. I’d offer 250 (depending on additional photos) plus shipping.

cj428mach

Established Member
I️ guess shipping is what it is, so I️ think if the price is right for a disassembled transmission. Also the shaft looks blueish and disassembling is just as important so I’d be somewhat pretentious that all parts and bearings aren’t damaged. I’d offer 250 (depending on additional photos) plus shipping.
I doubt that would happen. I parted my t56 out for over a grand, I know another member that did the same. 2nd, 3rd and the Cluster gear was toast. 5th and 6th can bring several hundred, the tailshaft can be worth several hundred, the front plate can bring 300ish, etc.... it all adds up.

olympic

Established Member
I'm going to fix what needs fixing and sell it. These are hard to find in Canada and should fetch a good price from someone looking to build hotrod or upgrade their Mustang.

maxrider

Established Member
I am thinking about sending my T56 to liberty to face plate 2,3 and 4. I really want to keep my car fun. An automatic is boring to me. A 800hp powershifting cobra sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Users who are viewing this thread