Need tire advice

dumbstixlars

Established Member
Hi all, I could use some advice from you guys that have had different tires on their Cobra's. I picked up my 03 DSG last week. I had to remove the wheels and tires off of it because they didn't fit properly. I am now looking for replacement wheels and tires. I plan to drive the car once a week to work, and some mild cruising on weekend to car shows, etc.

My 27 mile commute to work includes about a 5 mile toll road run at about 80 mph, the car makes 481hp at the wheels (dynoed). What is something that will allow me to hook up decently, but not kill me in the rain (I have no intentions of driving in the rain, but because Texas, rain shows up unannounced). I am leery of full on DR's because I know that they can be sketchy in cooler weather, but if I have to swap them out in the cooler months then so be it. I don't need to be able to dead hook on the street, but I'd like the car to not go sideways in 1st or 2nd gear.

Thoughts?

testorossa1989

Established Member
The NT555s are decent in weather, same for the MT Street ET tires (both not drags). You're north of 400 and will never have that ability to hook in rain. It's all going to boil down to driver confidence and a good tire. I run NT555s in front and MT drags rear and in the rain the front solid.

Again 80% is the drivers ability to counter steer. It's not a M3 you can't just put Bf Goodrich on and go. You have immediate torque. Just be mindful and use a nice tire in the colder season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dumbstixlars

Established Member
I was thinking of the NT-01 or NT-05 in the warmer months on the rears. Also 555 G5 on the front all the time, and 555 G2 in the rear for colder months. I know one of the NT's is bad in wet weather, but I can't remember which one.

Users who are viewing this thread