New Edge Graduation

01yellercobra

Established Member
My 01 had a big bore stroker, F1A, T-56, IRS upgrades, fuel system upgrades, etc. I had a lot of time and money into it. I was on the verge of getting really stupid with it. Until I realized how much it would cost and I didn't want to spend the money. It was a beast...when it was running. My friends were actually upset when I got rid of it.

That article is mostly correct. You can buy the Mystichrome paint from any good retailer really. And you don't have to have it sprayed by Ford. My car was sprayed at a paint shop down the street from my house and they did a good job. It's definitely not cheap. I had to have some work done on it shorty after I bought it. And I have to have some more done now. It definitely hurts the pocket book. However, you don't need to verify it's an actual Mystichrome car to get the paint. That's only for the 1996 Mystic Cobras. Which have a different paint.

Last edited:

zeus201

Established Member
I did the same thing and found a low mileage stock 04 cobra. My 99 just kept breaking and I grew tired of fixing something or thinking whats next.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Makes sense I guess. I hear you about time, I've been doing a brake swap for months now! Mine is just waaaaaay to far gone to switch now. I had a chance to get a new 03 under MSRP but I turned it down. At the time that was dumb, but now I'm glad I did. I feel like there are too many heat problems with a blown car at the track, and my car has become a track toy(though my wife's Ecoboost Expedition makes me want turbos). I'm actually in a similar conundrum with my truck. I have a 2010 FX4 that I've upgraded the suspension on, new rims and tires, flares, ect ect. But I want a Raptor! Right now my truck has about the same off road capability, but it's just not a Raptor.

The mystichrome thing I get. I've never seen an aftermarket job look anywhere near as good. Even if they used the official paint.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Makes sense I guess. I hear you about time, I've been doing a brake swap for months now! Mine is just waaaaaay to far gone to switch now. I had a chance to get a new 03 under MSRP but I turned it down. At the time that was dumb, but now I'm glad I did. I feel like there are too many heat problems with a blown car at the track, and my car has become a track toy(though my wife's Ecoboost Expedition makes me want turbos). I'm actually in a similar conundrum with my truck. I have a 2010 FX4 that I've upgraded the suspension on, new rims and tires, flares, ect ect. But I want a Raptor! Right now my truck has about the same off road capability, but it's just not a Raptor.

The mystichrome thing I get. I've never seen an aftermarket job look anywhere near as good. Even if they used the official paint.

Yeah, the time I'll never get back. Well, the money either. It was a definite learning experience. I'm still glad I did it. It's helped keep me from going nuts on this car. For now at least. The Boss block is still in the garage and will end up getting used at some point. If I had a track toy I'd keep it N/A. Less headaches that way. I originally wanted a Raptor. But I tend to tow and the tow rating on it was disappointing. I ended up with an F250 diesel. I love it. And it's fun to mess with people that think it's a big slow truck.

If the shop is good you won't be able to tell it was resprayed. The shop that did mine before resprayed it three times to get it right. And it looks good. I saw one guy that was experimenting with using a silver base instead of black and the paint seemed to pop even more.

Users who are viewing this thread