New Member.....with an issue

NJCobra96

Established Member
Hello All,

New to the site, but not to SVT's. Took my '96 to the local SVT expert for a rear service, which included a new pinion seal last week. Upon picking it up and driving it, I noticed at starts or low speeds when I engage the clutch, I hear a pronounced thunking sound coming from I believe the front of the car. I have had this Cobra for 14 months, putting 5,000 miles on it. I have never heard this sound until this service....and I have a very good ear for abnormal sounds.....your thoughts are appreciated. It is going back tomorrow....just wanted some input before I go.....thanks!

NJCobra96

Established Member
Update.....went back to the garage about 2 weeks ago...they claim there is no problem....it was a "stuck" e brake....huh? At an Easter gathering yesterday, talked to my Sister in Law's Boyfriend, who is a ASE Mechanic and works on diffs...asked him to take a ride...put up the windows and at 45-50 MPH the whine in the rear started..then upon pulling into the garage, he heard the thunking sound I mentioned above... he said they over tightened the pinion nut which damaged the crush sleeve, putting the pinion too far back, thus making a new wear pattern in the ring...that's where the whine is coming from....the thunking is too much play in the assembly now....he said it is only a matter of time before it fails...and problem is much worse.....WTF......going back again today for round 3....

NJCobra96

Established Member
Thank you brucesvt.....it is at a service center of a friend of mine...he is wondering if the crush collar was replaced with the pinion seal.....I will find out tomorrow my next move...

MG0h3

Established Member
I've never seen a crush sleeve take anything less than a huge breaker bar to crush. An impact won't do it. I've ton quite a few pinion seals and never replaced a crush sleeve. I'd be more inclined to think they left it loose.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

NJCobra96

Established Member
Update......Car is back to normal.....drives like new! No Whine or clutch clunking....smooth and quiet! Pinion Nut was so overtightened, it took 2 men to rotate the driveshaft by hand in neutral....pinion bearing and carrier bearings were damaged...that's where the whine was coming from.....I was lied to and deceived by Kaspers Korner, a place I trusted for 15 years....that could have ended up bad on an interstate at 70 MPH....glad I stayed with my gut and pursued it with another mechanic.

MG0h3

Established Member
Damn! That means thats what they did putting the nut back on....or used a 1" impact maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread