New Rims on an old car?

K_Labs

Established Member
I can't fit the new style mustang rims on my 68. There are some clearance issues. The center of the rim on a new mustang is way out towards the outside of the rim almost and the old style is more towards the middle. Do I have to special order them? Anybody run into this problem before?

latamud

Gearhead
Established Member
Run a wheel spacers.
IMG_3008_detail.JPG

K_Labs

Established Member
Nice. Yea I was thinking about getting custom wheels because there are a few companies out there that make awesome rims and will make them for any car. So because you swapped the rear suspension with a IRS you only had to put spacers in the front?

latamud

Gearhead
Established Member
So because you swapped the rear suspension with a IRS you only had to put spacers in the front?

Yes, because the IRS was wider than the original rear end, it pretty much took up that space and then some. If I used the original SRA I would need the same size spacers in the rear to run the 03 Cobra wheels.

latamud

Gearhead
Established Member
Last edited:

latamud

Gearhead
Established Member
i'm not digging the look... but whatever rocks your ride is cool with me.

It's not done yet. But I understand the flares aren't for everyone. I think I did alright considering naturally the wides tire that will fit tucked is a 245. Give me some time to work out the SN-66. I'm going a different route with the wide body, all steel box flares.

SVT1994

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
i had to use a 1" spacer in the front and a 1.25" spacer in the rear on mine (it's a maverick but it's the same setup)....

10-27087.jpg

latamud

Gearhead
Established Member
IMG_4254_detail.JPG

IMG_4253_detail.JPG

IMG_4255_detail.JPG

Here's test fit of my 19x10 Saleens
IMG_4242_detail.JPG

IMG_4236_detail.JPG

Don't have pics up yet but my blue 66 Mustang is getting a set of these:
saleen-s302-extreme-2008-2.jpg

TrickleVenom

SVT fan
Established Member
This is exactly what I have been looking for. I have a 03 cobra and my buddie has a 1972 fastback mustang. I just switched rims on my cobra to the OEM 03 Cobra chrome wheels, And i gave my buddie my Factory OEM machined 03 cobra wheels for his 1972 fastback. I know its not going to be a direct bolt on, but at least we know its possible!! Thank you for posting this. Also, he was thinking of purchasing the 17x10.5's from AFSwheels.com for the back and running the factory 17x9's up front. Cant wait to see if everything will come together. :)

Greenwood1982

Established Member
i had to use a 1" spacer in the front and a 1.25" spacer in the rear on mine (it's a maverick but it's the same setup)....

10-27087.jpg

Wow, I love your Maverick. I really miss seeing these old rare cars. I saw one for sale 5 miles from where I lived a couple years back, and went back to get a second look a week later it was gone! :shrug:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Wow, I love your Maverick. I really miss seeing these old rare cars. I saw one for sale 5 miles from where I lived a couple years back, and went back to get a second look a week later it was gone! :shrug:

I don't know that they'd be considered rare, old yes, but rare...not so much, other then most have beem recycled into something else.

Users who are viewing this thread