New Spy Shots—’20 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
it has no choice but to exceed the Camaros or risk being a complete laughing stock right out of the gate.

No way they f up like team camaro did with the gen 5 ZL1 and '13 GT500. They've literally had years to benchmark the current ZL1.

No excuses. I am sure they will deliver.

You forgot to say 526 naturally aspirated HP. It's funny how people will praise the C6 Z06 all day long with its 7K RPM, 505HP engine as though it's the best performance car ever made. Yet, when the GT350 comes along with its 8250 RPM, 526 naturally aspirated HP, it's trash.

It may be because the Z06 did it 10 years earlier with an "outdated" pushrod engine. Doesn't make it a valid argument, just a 500+ hp NA domestic car was old news by 2015 for most people. Let's be honest, even though not specialized in straightline acceleration, it's still pretty blah in that department.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I might be missing something here, but I thought the C6 7L made the most NA power at 460 hp? The LS9 is FI. And the NA C7s aren't doing much better. But I'm not a Chevy guy. That's just what I have read.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I was just reading about the 2020 Mid-Engine Corvette in the May 2018 C&D.
It looks like it will be initially using the same engine as the C7.

But they are working on a new engine.
A NA 5.5L 600 HP DOHC V-8 with a flat plane crankshaft with a 9000 rpm limit.

A twin turbo 5.5L DOHC V-8 with a flat plane crankshaft with two big air to water heat exchangers. This will produce about 800 HP.

And in a couple of years, a 220 HP electric motor located between the front wheels, driving the front wheels, for a total of 1000 HP.

If they were to put this new engine in an updated Camaro, it's game over.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I keep trying to tell y'all. The days of straight-line-only Mustangs are over. The Mustang is now a global car. Being such, it now has to meet the desires of global customers. And by "global", what they really mean is European. Europeans aren't nearly as into straight-line cars as Americans. Europeans like nimble cars that can handle curves and high speed with aplomb. The next GT500 has no choice but to exceed the capabilities of the GT350 at a minimum. And with how long it's taking them to release it, it has no choice but to exceed the Camaros or risk being a complete laughing stock right out of the gate.

You forgot to say 526 naturally aspirated HP. It's funny how people will praise the C6 Z06 all day long with its 7K RPM, 505HP engine as though it's the best performance car ever made. Yet, when the GT350 comes along with its 8250 RPM, 526 naturally aspirated HP, it's trash. It's also been shown that you can make insane power with the engine, but then they turn around and try to say the reliability is unknown when boosted. People clearly just like to complain, especially about the GT350. On a Mustang forum, no less...
How many GT350s did they sell in Europe?
Will the GT500 or the ZR1 be sold in Europe?
We all know the new Mustang is a global car and everyone wants a well rounded car, but MANY want a car that has settings that allow it to rip on a drag strip also.
Hell look at Chevy bringing drag packs back including sweet 16" beadlock Welds to match with a smaller rear Brake setup.
Mustang has always thrived on being mod friendly. Fewer will mod a Shelby compared to a GT, but the OEM engineers have the tools to make the next GT500 capable at the strip. I still think you'd be shocked how many would choose a 'drag pak' if given the choice against a 'track pak'.
-J

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member

I know it's just anecdotal, but I have several friends and family in England, France, Germany and Italy that have posted more than a handful of GT350's over there. My life long friend from high school bought one for about $90k US. She told me that are sold under another name (I don't recall the name, but I guess like Holden and GM) and are advertised as 533+ HP.

Also, a quick Google search shows that they are sold in the UK by Shelby American.

I can't find any hard numbers though.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Will the GT500 or the ZR1 be sold in Europe?
J

0 zr1’s will be sold in Europe. Car doesn’t even pass regulation for sale in Europe (the hood as an example).

Chevy and Dodge seem to know their customer base.

Ford? Meh. Who knows.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Though GM generally doesn't make big power updates between cycles, is it not possible that they might easily up the stakes on the ZL1 before (ar just as) a MY 2020 GT500 hits the showrooms? I would assume that a 6.2L with a 1.7 liter supercharger has left a lot on the table. After the 662 HP fiasco left them reeling, I wonder if they might be sandbagging.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... It may be because the Z06 did it 10 years earlier with an "outdated" pushrod engine. Doesn't make it a valid argument, just a 500+ hp NA domestic car was old news by 2015 for most people. Let's be honest, even though not specialized in straightline acceleration, it's still pretty blah in that department.

I think it does pretty well in the straight line department. It's not terribly far off the '13/'14 GT500 mark, and it does it with no forced induction. Aside from the ZL1s, what other car in its price range can touch it? The Hellcats are almost $70K MSRP. Also, how could people think a 500+HP NA V8 was old news by 2015 when the only engine doing it was GMs 7L that was only used in 2 cars?

I might be missing something here, but I thought the C6 7L made the most NA power at 460 hp? The LS9 is FI. And the NA C7s aren't doing much better. But I'm not a Chevy guy. That's just what I have read.

We're talking crank HP, and GM's 7L made 505HP as used in the Z06 and the Z/28. People acted like it was the best thing ever. They still do. Ford releases the Voodoo making 21HP more with nearly two liters less displacement than GM's 7L and it's somehow sub par.

Ford? Meh. Who knows.

Ford is finally starting to show some love to the other side of its Mustang customer base. I'd bet that, on any given weekend during racing season, there are more Mustangs on a road course than there are at the drag strip.

Though GM generally doesn't make big power updates between cycles, is it not possible that they might easily up the stakes on the ZL1 before (ar just as) a MY 2020 GT500 hits the showrooms? I would assume that a 6.2L with a 1.7 liter supercharger has left a lot on the table. After the 662 HP fiasco left them reeling, I wonder if they might be sandbagging.

I'm sure they're sandbagging, especially considering that they didn't even bother to out-muscle the '13/'14 GT500 with the new ZL1. Look to the ZR1 for the power that will be coming to the ZL1 after Ford releases the GT500. Then consider that Chevy [supposedly] recently stated the ZR1 actually makes 850HP; something Ford will need to consider, too.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Ford is finally starting to show some love to the other side of its Mustang customer base. I'd bet that, on any given weekend during racing season, there are more Mustangs on a road course than there are at the drag strip.

Any given weekend might not be a large enough (time-wise) sample. You have a point and could be right, but I don't think so.

I took my 18 to the drag strip last Wednesday night for "Wednesday night lights" that the local track is putting on.

I counted over 30 Mustangs that night in an event where there were about 150 participants.

If drag racing is this strong in Commie California, I have to imagine its MUCH stronger in your neck of the woods and elsewhere around the country.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
The closest drag strip to me is 136 miles away.
I do have a few hills around me with lots of tight curves to play on. I would rather have a car that handles the roads I drive on rather than one that just goes straight, assuming you can get it to go straight.

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member

This concerns me for Ford- I hope Ford does not release the GT500 and then right after that Chevy and/or Dodge counters with something faster. That would surely suck for Ford, but it would not surprise me.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
0 zr1’s will be sold in Europe. Car doesn’t even pass regulation for sale in Europe (the hood as an example).
Ford? Meh. Who knows.
My man,................

Bluewrx2001

Established Member
Since Ford will stop making most of its cars
And keeping the Mustang I am sure it will be good and expect great things to come

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
It may be because the Z06 did it 10 years earlier with an "outdated" pushrod engine. Doesn't make it a valid argument, just a 500+ hp NA domestic car was old news by 2015 for most people. Let's be honest, even though not specialized in straightline acceleration, it's still pretty blah in that department.

The reason I feel the C6Z is so special is because of its weight. The early ones weighed in at a rediculous 313x or something like that. It’s still crazy today.
Compared to the GT350 ten years later the 350 is over 600lbs heavier. The 350R is still 500lbs more than C6Z.
505hp and under 3200lbs, one can compete with 650hp GT500 or 707hp HC in a drag race. I mean 11.1/11.2 @ 127 oem stock is still outstanding today 12 years later!
And imo the C6Z is the best looking vette since the C2 Stingrays.

Users who are viewing this thread