Nightshift

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I have worked shift work in the military for the past 9 years, 5 years before that I was straight day shift. One of my additional duties is the squadron scheduler so I try to keep my guys on 3-4 week rotations, a few are even permanent. We have a day, swing, and mid shift. Another of my additional duties (the Guard likes to work more with less) is a flight supervisor so I get to keep myself on mostly day shifts with a few mids rotations. When I'm on mid shift, I go to sleep as soon as I get home at 0830, then I'm up by 1400-1500 and still have about 6 hours before I have to get ready for work. Swing shift is the one I hate.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I worked a project where we had 7 on 7 off (12 hrs) working only days. That was the shit lol. At my dad's old company he worked days but the shift workers worked the Dupont schedule. Except they didn't flip flop from days to nights so fast, they'd work a whole 28 day set on days then flip and do a 28 day set on nights. That would be an awesome schedule. I've tried to get it at my work but haven't been successful yet.

There are so many variations of Dupont, they all sound great!

The specific job bid that I won is three weeks of Monday thru Wednesday 6a-6p, then one week of Monday thru Thursday 6a-6p...no nights and no weekends. Nights and weekends for the past 19 years have burnt me out.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
There are so many variations of Dupont, they all sound great!

The specific job bid that I won is three weeks of Monday thru Wednesday 6a-6p, then one week of Monday thru Thursday 6a-6p...no nights and no weekends. Nights and weekends for the past 19 years have burnt me out.

Awesome schedule.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
I did 4 pm-2 am's for about 3 years. It was a huge change for me when I started but it took about a month to get used to it but once I did it was a piece of cake. Just had to ignore what times of the day it actually was and remember to still sleep 8 hrs and eat regularly.

nxhappy

Established Member
**** night jobs. it's really not worth it. the human body isn't meant to sleep during the day and work all night. physically bad for the body and mind. I used to do it, but i went insane.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I work 12 hour shifts at a butter factory. 4 weeks 6am-6pm, then 4 weeks 6pm-6am. Been doing this for over 10 years. I don't care to hear the sob story of people saying they are now over weight because of working nights.

nxhappy

Established Member
I work 12 hour shifts at a butter factory. 4 weeks 6am-6pm, then 4 weeks 6pm-6am. Been doing this for over 10 years. I don't care to hear the sob story of people saying they are now over weight because of working nights.
****inA bro.....I hope they pay you well ....

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
****inA bro.....I hope they pay you well ....

I actually don't mind it. I work maybe 12-13 days a month. That's half the year off and I have days off during the week. My wife has days off during the week and we get a lot of golfing in. Plus it's easy for me to get my 5-7 meals in the days I work. I get 5 breaks, which is 5 meals just at work.

nxhappy

Established Member
I actually don't mind it. I work maybe 12-13 days a month. That's half the year off and I have days off during the week. My wife has days off during the week and we get a lot of golfing in. Plus it's easy for me to get my 5-7 meals in the days I work. I get 5 breaks, which is 5 meals just at work.
well...if you don't mind it, that's all that counts lol. I won't bitch about hard workers.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
well...if you don't mind it, that's all that counts lol. I won't bitch about hard workers.

It's definitely not for everyone. I stand on concrete all day and it's hard on the body. The pay is good for the area I live in.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I did 4 pm-2 am's for about 3 years. It was a huge change for me when I started but it took about a month to get used to it but once I did it was a piece of cake. Just had to ignore what times of the day it actually was and remember to still sleep 8 hrs and eat regularly.

I work a similar shift (1500-0300) and i actually prefer it over a day shift. It was a little rough to get used to but now i love it.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I worked 7pm-7am for over 10 years in wire manufacturing. Been on days for about 2 years now and I still struggle to sleep at nights sometimes. When the wife finished nursing school, she worked nights too. All was well till we started having kids, that's when it got complicated. But I do work with guys that actually prefer it. Some have been on nights for 25+ years.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member

That's what I wish we would do instead of flipping every few days.

Blown 89

Established Member
Flipping every few days ins't healthy. The body will sleep whenever you tell it to but you can't tell it different times every day. I don't understand why employers think that's a good idea.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i liked night shift on deployment, i am on days into nights and i hate it. can't do anything with the family because son is in school and then asleep when i get home.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah it's easier to get on a good sleeping pattern. Generally my best sleep comes when I'm on nights and sleeping during the day.

norcalcobra

Established Member
I also work in the same industry and in purification. We are on a rotating 12 hour shift but work a 2-2-3 schedule. Two weeks on days and two weeks on nights. It's hard the first day back transitioning but having all the extra days off makes it better than a m-f position.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I am in Purification also. 7 more days than I am done.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I hate working shifts. Give me a schedule, don't care which shift it is just let me stay on it and not flip flop around

Users who are viewing this thread