No crank, no start, no power...Serious help needed!

BlueVenom01

Established Member
Been awhile since I've been on here but could really use some help...

So my 01 has been sitting for about a year now (why is not important) and has not been started in that time. It sits outside because I don't have a garage. I replaced the battery yesterday and went to start it up.... no crank, the engine doesn't turn over. The ignition is hard to turn and doesn't spring back when you release the key... after turning the key to start it, the key stays where it is, the dome light goes out and the needles bury and stay there.... like I now have a dead battery. A few taps on the negative battery cable and I have power to the dome light again. Battery cables are tight, starter relay fuse is good... not quite sure where to start to get the car running again

No smartass comments required, just some legit suggestions /guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks!

01yellercobra

Established Member
The first thing I'd do is try spraying contact cleaner into the tumbler. Maybe it has a bad connection. Since it's hard to turn I'd get that fixed before moving on.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Are your terminals clean? Is the new battery fully charged? What happens if you try to jump it? Start with the easy stuff after fixing the ignition problem.

Awtblo

03 OW Cobra
Established Member
Sounds like an electrical issue, as stated check the basics, follow your ground and make sure it's not all corroded, as well as your power cable.

If they look ok, do a voltage drop test on both the negative and positive battery cables.

Also, is the PCM online?, (odo on, theft light not flashing etc)

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Like he ^ said, follow the grounds. There are two, one on the radiator support and one to the block. Also, check the power connections going from the positive terminal to the relay box. If none of that works, try to hand crank the engine. If that doesn't help, pull the starter and make sure it's good.

Users who are viewing this thread