NorCal Whch HPDE Event Provider?

SilverGT1

Established Member
I am setting up a 2003 GT for track use. It will be driven to and from track events but not a daily driver. I will be doing HPDE for now and will see where it goes from there. The car is almost ready to go so I need to start figuring who I will HPDE with.

I am in northern California and will primarily be going to Sonoma Raceway, Thunder Hill and Laguna Seca. There are several event providers like SpeedSF, NASA, Hooked On Driving. All seem to require some level of membership.

Which provider do you recommend for entry level and why?

1971mach1

Established Member
I have had a very good experience with HOD here in the northwest. About 12-14 track days and a 2 day school with Ross Bentley. HOD runs a very professional operation, safety is number one priority, great coaches from which I learned a lot. I now am road racing in a series called ICSCC here in the northwest and I am doing well. My start in road courses started with HOD and I have heard good things about Northern Cal HOD and look forward of taking my GT 500 down there in the near future with HOD.

chris_302

Established Member
Speed ventures does Laguna seca. Ongrid, HOD.
Membership is only $45 for NASA.

Do you have any prior experience in road racing?

SilverGT1

Established Member
Thanks Chris_302. No, I have not done any road racing before. That is really the primary reason for this thread. Just trying to find a good place to start. I am hoping to have the car ready for August.

chris_302

Established Member
Thanks Chris_302. No, I have not done any road racing before. That is really the primary reason for this thread. Just trying to find a good place to start. I am hoping to have the car ready for August.
I like how Speed ventures and Nasa organize their events. I cannot speak for the rest as i have not raced with them before.

Hooked on driving is hosting Laguna Seca soon and I believe so is Ongrid.
Just make sure your car is properly prepped:

-Fluids - dot 4 brake fluid
-proper pads

Go out, learn your car and have fun ;)

SilverGT1

Established Member
Thank you very much for the link! I wont have the car ready by then but I am very, very close.

Finishing the cooling system now. Need to install my brake cooling ducts, strut brace and panhard bar. Need to flush my brake fluid for Motul (maybe?? or ??). I absolutely need new brake pads (not sure what to go with). I absolutely need new tires (thinking Nitto NT01). I have a new Exedy Mach 350 clutch that I would like to get in before running. The car came with something that is exceptionally heavy and is really more for drag racing. It is either on or off and in my opinion, way too heavy for continual track shifting.

I have also ordered OMP TRS-E seats. I can run without them but I hate the stock seats. I am only 5'8" and feel like I am sitting way too high. At a minimum, I'll need a harness bar. Optimally, I'll get a 4 point roll bar or maybe a 6 point with swing out sides..

I am beginning to suffer some mission creep here.....

Users who are viewing this thread