offroad mid pipe vs oe mid pipe

Brewkett

Established Member
Just wondering while I was installing my Magnaflow cat back pipes
Is there any performance gains on replacing the OE mid pipe to an offroad mid pipe, say a Mac prochamber, or an offroad x-pipe say a bbk, other than making it louder?

Car 2001 convertible, it's still stock with just a drop in k&n air filter in the OE air box, and now Magnaflow cat back. I'm building the car to be a freeway driver, Sunday car show and what not. Probably wont see the drag strip.

Steve23

Established Member
Well, 1 has cats and 1 does not. Cats are a restriction no matter how you cut it. So yes, there is a definitive performance upgrade to an O/R mid-pipe, versus the OE catted mid-pipe.

X, H or Pro, in the end, the X will have the most performance gain, technically. However, H versus X is pretty minimal in the gains versus the other. The key take away is, yes, to answer your question. An O/R mid-pipe versus OEM mid-pipe, the O/R offers some power gains over an OEM.

As far as sound differences.
H - Mellower and deeper sound
X - Louder and raspier tone

Sent from my SM-G935T using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Brewkett

Established Member
Is it worth spending the money to have a full 2.5" pipes, and ditch the cats?
or would I be better off spending the money on suspension? My next item I'm looking at is replacing all the IRS bushings and gear swap on the rear, and maybe lowering springs and shocks.

Steve23

Established Member
I mean, if you plan on further modding the vehicle with other bolt-ons, than I would absolutely get an O/R mid-pipe.

The IRS is fantastic, it's misunderstood, but great when equipped correctly. The SN chassis isn't the greatest, but can be modified to handle pretty well. When you do suspension I suggest FTBR for your IRS needs. Bushings alone is a significant difference in driveability. If you own a vert, at minimum I suggest a stifflers subframe setup, at minimum just subframe connectors. Stiffening up the chassis, along with fixing the crappy rubber bushings equipped on the IRS, will go great distances for your handling needs. It also depends on your budget but more so your goals.

Personally, I'd go mid-pipe then I'd work on stiffening up the suspension. I'd do bushings before shocks and struts. Unless you're shocks/struts are that bad. But, everyone will approach it differently.

Sent from my SM-G935T using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Maybe I'm just getting old but I have a Bassani O/R X pipe and Magnaflow catback. It's almost too loud. If I were to do it again I'd get a catted X pipe so that it's a little quieter and doesn't smell like a lawn mower when running.

Ironmancuck

Banned
Established Member
I would leave the factory mid pipe alone and just add a cat back system. You mentioned that you wanted a freeway cruiser and an off road mid pipe will resonate like hell and make things loud.

svt_cobra01

Established Member
Just wondering while I was installing my Magnaflow cat back pipes
Is there any performance gains on replacing the OE mid pipe to an offroad mid pipe, say a Mac prochamber, or an offroad x-pipe say a bbk, other than making it louder?

Car 2001 convertible, it's still stock with just a drop in k&n air filter in the OE air box, and now Magnaflow cat back. I'm building the car to be a freeway driver, Sunday car show and what not. Probably wont see the drag strip.

4v most definetly make more power than 2v cars. they just need more air flow and the oe mid pipe is really restrictive on performance. i have an 01 as well, you would probaly gain 10rwhp with a aftermarket offroad mid pipe at least. not a huge number but yea i think its worth it. one down side would be your car will be LOUD depending on what mufflers you use and they definetly are a must with catless.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I would leave the factory mid pipe alone and just add a cat back system. You mentioned that you wanted a freeway cruiser and an off road mid pipe will resonate like hell and make things loud.
I don't have that issue on the freeway but I'm running 3.27 gears so it's more manageable in 5th gear versus 4.10's, the rpm is lower and it doesn't drone.

Snk-Byet01

Established Member
Just putting on an after market CAT back can open things up. The OE CAT back is really restricted (pinched down diameters) going to the mufflers. I have the OE gears and mid-pipe and I still have a semi-annoying drone at around 2000 - 2300 RPM. Just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread