Oil pan capacity test pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shackleford

Established Member
Surprising no one ever documented this before...

I've put in 6.5-6.75 since I bought the Mach after reading a lot on this topic. Cool.

Last edited:

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
no one has really 'debated it' its just the manual says 6 or 6.5 qts when its really 7 minimum(this question seems to come up often). Also where in delco are you brookhaven?

BrookhavenTuner

Established Member
01SVTSnake said:
no one has really 'debated it' its just the manual says 6 or 6.5 qts when its really 7 minimum(this question seems to come up often). Also where in delco are you brookhaven?

Brookhaven, Kind of a give away.

SPXTrader

Certified Loon
Established Member
BrookhavenTuner said:
way to triple post buddy

You're still an
asshat2.jpg

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,T56,solid
Established Member
TTT everyone needs to see/read this thread...

Glad everyone is happy with the pics and I'm glad I did the test... 7 quarts FTW!!!!

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Very cool indeed!

Someone needs to send this link to FoMoCo and demand explanation for what looks more and more like a misrepresentation in the owners manual . . . even given all that hooey about dipstick TSBs!

However, is it possible that the Mach 1 oil pan is different than than '99/'01 Cobra oil pan? Even though the engines are very similar, it's certainly been noted enough times that they are not identical and this could be one of the many small differences between the two?

Last edited:

Charles236

Established Member
01 Venom said:
very true quad, where are the MACH boys now?

I have never been satisfied with 6 quarts in my Mach 1. The pan obviously is below the counterweights on the 4.6, so there is no danger of windage with 7 quarts, so that is what I ran until I installed the oil filter relocation kit. With a Motoercraft FL-1A, I run 7.5 quarts. I have experience with the old Chrysler Hemi engines, and they were known for holding oil up in the heads. Most of the Hemis that failed did so because of the oil staying in the heads, starving the bottom end when the pan was emptied by the oil pump. These heads on the 4.6 DOHC can't drain the oil as fast as it can be pumped up into them, so I apply the same plan to the 4.6 as the old Hemi. On the Mach 1 Registery, this same debate goes on. I believe that I am in the minority there, it seems like most Mach owners are using 6 to 6.5 quarts. For me, a extra quart of oil is cheap insurance against have a engine failure due to loss of oil pressure.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
How many motors have been lost by unsuspecting owners who followed Ford's 6qt specs? Major suckage. Should never have been an issue in a high performance engine from Ford. Considering their racing heritage they should have known better. I still have doubts about the longevity of my motor because I only heard about this issue AFTER the first 20K miles. Always kept levels up, but who knows.

I have a thought for those in the know...Having a high capacity, aftermarket oil pan really isn't going to help considering it's the upper level that really matters anyway, right? There are certainly cooling benefits for sure, but they won't really help with starvation if you let the levels slip anyway.

Last edited:

01 Venom

Established Member
I would say no matter what pan you got under there you need to watch the level like a hawk.

I always wondered how the GT and Cobra can have the same oil capacity with the heads beeing so large on the Cobra.

mug11

Established Member
so if you have a 6 qt oil pan... put 7 qts in.

What if you have a 7 qt. oil pan... put 9 in? Cause thats how much i put in my MMR pan and it finally read on the dip stick.

BlueVenom01

Established Member
Where's cobraracer?? :poke: He needs to see this thread and believe the 7 qt theory is TRUE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread