Oil pan capacity test pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,T56,solid
Established Member
na svt said:
Who here has proof they spun a bearing or burned up a bottom end as a result of the heads holding oil?

Heres your proof right here since your so smart...

I had a oil pressure guage line crack, lost some oil (maybe 2 quarts). Checked the oil it was low after the car had cooled for a little while after I fixed the line. Put some oil in and ran the car, checked the dipstick after adding 1 quart and it heating up and it read right in the middle. Drove the car for about an hour it started ticking/knocking. Checked my oil and nothing read on the dipstick at all.

Keep in mind before this happened I had just changed my oil and put in just under 7 quarts.

I thought it was lifters. Changed them and nothing. Tore the motor down and found 5 spun rod bearings and metal shavings everywhere. This was with I'd say at least 6 quarts of oil in the car when it happened.

000_0114.gif

100_0016.gif

100_0018.gif

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
qwik01cobra said:
Heres your proof right here since your so smart...

I had a oil pressure guage line crack, lost some oil (maybe 2 quarts). Checked the oil it was low after the car had cooled for a little while after I fixed the line. Put some oil in and ran the car, checked the dipstick after adding 1 quart and it heating up and it read right in the middle. Drove the car for about an hour it started ticking/knocking. Checked my oil and nothing read on the dipstick at all.

Keep in mind before this happened I had just changed my oil and put in just under 7 quarts.

I thought it was lifters. Changed them and nothing. Tore the motor down and found 5 spun rod bearings and metal shavings everywhere. This was with I'd say at least 6 quarts of oil in the car when it happened.

I'm the kinda person that needs proof before I run out and do something and that is defintely not proof that I need to run 7 qts.

However, I do have proof that the crankshaft will be sitting in oil if you put in 7qts. That my friends is not exactly a performance enhancing mod.

Take a loook at these pictures and tell me if the crank counterweights hang below the oil pan rails:

There is no proof that 6.5 quarts of oil results in more bearing failures than 7 quarts of oil; both quantities work fine. However, an engine that is going to see extended high rpm operation should have a larger than stock oil pan. If you want to run 7 qts do so, but not just because it fits in the pan.

Last edited:

cobraracer46

Banned
SPXTrader said:
Either that, or he's out riding his bicycle

I just finished a 130 mile training ride today.:rolling:

As for this thread, The only time I would put 7 quarts in my Cobra motor would be if the car Had a Canton 7 quart oil pan. Of course in addition to the Canton oil pan, an accusump charge oil accumilator and a oil cooler such as one from flyuidyne would also be a good idea.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
in my former life, i was an FE-engine nut (352-390-427-428) and its a common problem with amateur engine builders. they choose a high volume oil pump (because it sounds cooler than saying its stock) with a stock pan and end up with spun bearings because they ran the sump dry.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
they choose a high volume oil pump (because it sounds cooler than saying its stock) with a stock pan and end up with spun bearings because they ran the sump dry.

Ya know what's scary, Melling is now making a high volume pump for 4.6s.

01cobravortech said:
You just OWNED all the naysayers on this thread witht hat remark my friend.
What he said is true for all engines and should be know to most anyone here. Owned? I don't think so.

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
na svt said:
I'm the kinda person that needs proof before I run out and do something and that is defintely not proof that I need to run 7 qts.

However, I do have proof that the crankshaft will be sitting in oil if you put in 7qts. That my friends is not exactly a performance enhancing mod.

Take a loook at these pictures and tell me if the crank counterweights hang below the oil pan rails:
yes, the counterweights hang a little. however, notice the pictures in the beginning of this thread. when the pan is filled w/ 7 quarts, there is still some gap left until the brim of the pan. as the pics showed, that took 9 qts to reach that level. so, there is enough room to clear the counterweights w/ 7 qts. especially when you factor in that there will be oil in the filter, heads, and lines, so the pan level will be way down from that level in the pic even.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
na svt said:
Ya know what's scary, Melling is now making a high volume pump for 4.6s.

That is scary considering I see almost 100 psi on cold startup in the middle of summer on a 95°+ day. Running MB1 FS 5w30, the pressure comes down after it warms up but until the oil gets some temp in it these cars have some awesome oil pressures at start up.

Charles236

Established Member
High volume isn't the same thing as high pressure, it is possible in many engine oil pumps to change the pressure relief spring to raise the pressure without increasing the volume. My 4.6 also shows nearly 100 psi on startup in the summer.

Nazman

Established Member
Here are some pics I took of the Canton 7QT Pan.

7 QT
med_gallery_1217_345_102610.jpg

8 QT
med_gallery_1217_345_71378.jpg

8 QT w/Windage Tray
med_gallery_1217_345_68171.jpg

gallery_1217_345_32793.jpg

9 QT
med_gallery_1217_345_152020.jpg

9 QT w/Windage Tray
med_gallery_1217_345_70759.jpg

gallery_1217_345_148646.jpg

Naz

Jfoster

Established Member
With the stock windage tray, it seems that even though the oil isn't really close to the crank, there is some exposure to turbulance which might whip up some oil. Just an observation.

OTOH - with the canton setup (which I just got in the mail today!), it looks like both the pan itself and the sindage tray provide a lot of separation between the crank and the oil. I would consider over filling this setup more than the stocker.

musclefan21

Established Member
whta is the performance difference between 6qrts and 7 qrts? I heard that with more oil, it will take more power to rotate the crank.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
whta is the performance difference between 6qrts and 7 qrts? I heard that with more oil, it will take more power to rotate the crank.

if the crank has to try to turn through the oil, yes that will take some power away.

But given that this should not be a concern with the windage tray and level of oil in the pan, I wouldn't worry about any major losses of hp.

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,T56,solid
Established Member
This thread is back from the dead.... :banana:

I linked this thread to my local site chicagosvt.com so be prepared for questions, comments and concerns.

SVTP sure has a lot of retards these days. I mean...the pics simply speak for themselves. What better way is there to illustrate the 6qt vs. 7qt argument?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread