Oil Pressure Sensor

eljefe495

Hello! First post here. I need your help.

I recently purchase a 2012 LS (#495) with 3500 miles. I was out today and the oil warning light came on plus the oil pressure gauge in the center pod stopped working.

I pulled over and checked under the car for any sign of oil leaking then checked the oil level. No signs of oil leaking under the car and the oil level was a little bit below the top hole on the dip stick. I got back in the car, started it and moved it forward a bit to check the ground for any sign of oil, nothing.

Started it again and drove it home. Thankfully I wasn't far from home when this happened. The car ran fine, no sign of anything unusual except the warning light and oil pressure gauge not working.

My questions is, did my oil pressure sensor go belly up?

After I got home I put the car on ramps and checked things out a little further:
1) No sign of oil leaking anywhere around the pan, pan plug, filter, pan level sensor or pressure sensor/sender on the block.
2) I unplugged and plugged back in the oil level sensor on the side of the oil pan.
3) Tried the track key and even disconnected the battery hoping to reset things in case there was some computer gremlin at work.
4) Scanned for fault codes using ODB2 scanner app, nothing.
5) Used a circuit tester on the wires coming out of the pressure and level sensor and it lit up fine.

Thank you!

Last edited:

eljefe495

Quick update... started the car this morning and the warning light is off and oil pressure gauge is giving a reading but seems vert low, only 10-20 PSI at idle, about 30 PSI at 3K rpms.

noldevin

Established Member
I would stop driving the car and have it towed to be checked out. If your engine is not being oiled correctly it can very quickly escalate to needing a new engine.

eljefe495

Dropped the car off at the dealer yesterday. I got a call in the afternoon telling me they need to replace the oil pressure 'switch' and was given part number GC3Z9278A. When I searched for the part number for a 2012 BOSS oil pressure sensor it shows CR3Z9D290A. The part number they gave me is what comes up when they plug my VIN in but it is not the original part. I spoke to them this morning and told them to go with the original part, which unfortunately is a LOT more money. Does anyone have any idea why this is the case?

Here is a video I captured yesterday as I was dropping the car off. You can see what is going on with the gauge and warning light. Hold on its a little shaky :)

Last edited:

_Snake_

Established Member
I was just thinking that if there really is a pressure issue, that gauge prompted you to do something about it ASAP. I've always hated dummy gauges - by the time they move, it's too late.

eljefe495

Picked her up from the dealer today. Went on a short test drive and all appears to be working fine. Thanks for your help guys.

36200704270_22b50095f9_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread