On3 turbo kit

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Hard to beat for the price. its 2018 I'm sure whatever issues they had at first have been worked out by now. Lotta ppl have their kits. I bet its a pretty decent kit these days for sure.

There is no no need for twin Turbos tho. Its twice the parts and twice the chance of something failing. The single Turbos these days spool up so fast and make so much HP its silly to think one needs more then one. One will surely make 1300+whp and come on very fast and hard.

New Turbo technology sees virtually no benefit with twins for a street car. My single comes on so fast its dangerous so wanting to come on any faster is useless.

I want mine to slow down a little which means I gotta send my converter back out so I'm jus gonna live with it but it comes on hard before u foot even hits the floor. Instant Boost!

Last edited:

Marvin9075

Established Member
Hard to beat for the price. its 2018 I'm sure whatever issues they had at first have been worked out by now. Lotta ppl have their kits. I bet its a pretty decent kit these days for sure.

There is no no need for twin Turbos tho. Its twice the parts and twice the chance of something failing. The single Turbos these days spool up so fast and make so much HP its silly to think one needs more then one. One will surely make 1300+whp and come on very fast and hard.

New Turbo technology sees virtually no benefit with twins for a street car. My single comes on so fast its dangerous so wanting to come on any faster is useless.

I want mine to slow down a little which means I gotta send my converter back out so I'm jus gonna live with it but it comes on hard before u foot even hits the floor. Instant Boost!

So on3 offers there 67 single ball bearing turbo upgrade. Do you think this will be a better option? Or will there standard 70 journal bearing one be good enough. I am just trying to eliminate as much lag as possible and have boost come on as soon as I can. I am looking to make close to 500 whp. So I am not looking for anything crazy at the moment.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
well, my 76 comes on so fast I can't imagine u wanting anything smaller then that. Honestly the 70 is so small I don't see being JB over BB a real concern. A Coyote motor will move that 70mm JB like nothn!

So on3 offers there 67 single ball bearing turbo upgrade. Do you think this will be a better option? Or will there standard 70 journal bearing one be good enough. I am just trying to eliminate as much lag as possible and have boost come on as soon as I can. I am looking to make close to 500 whp. So I am not looking for anything crazy at the moment.

Marvin9075

Established Member
well, my 76 comes on so fast I can't imagine u wanting anything smaller then that. Honestly the 70 is so small I don't see being JB over BB a real concern. A Coyote motor will move that 70mm JB like nothn!

I guess I will just go with everything for ON3's supplied kit and see what happens... hopefully I can do the install within a reasonable time... still have to get the vortech off the car.

paulstang347

Established Member
I used there standard kit and worked great on my 04. Made 680 700 on 21 but that's about all the kit can handle in stock form ( done with 76mm they have) Had clamps breaking and back pressure issues. Upgraded to the 84mm turbo and 4 core intercooler and made 740 816. Now im going with precision turbo and set up . Still using the stock waste gates and bov. Had zero issues with my kit in the 2 years I have had and multiple track passes. I would recommend replacing the clamps right away and if you are going to push the kit, upgrade intercooler.

99ribman

Established Member
Ive used a 2v kit and 4v kit- both forward facing.. Change out all clamps right off, most leaked on mine. Once the clamps were upgraded it helped. Never had issues with the turbos or wastegates. Fitment wasn't great, but you get what you pay for. if I were to go turbo again I would have a kit built for the car.

Coming from blower set ups I didn't like all the underhood piping and underhood heat. Seemed there was always hotside piping close to something. While the turbo set ups made great power, I enjoy the blowers better and went back that route.

Marvin9075

Established Member
Ive used a 2v kit and 4v kit- both forward facing.. Change out all clamps right off, most leaked on mine. Once the clamps were upgraded it helped. Never had issues with the turbos or wastegates. Fitment wasn't great, but you get what you pay for. if I were to go turbo again I would have a kit built for the car.

Coming from blower set ups I didn't like all the underhood piping and underhood heat. Seemed there was always hotside piping close to something. While the turbo set ups made great power, I enjoy the blowers better and went back that route.

Back to a Centrifugal or a roots ?

99ribman

Established Member
Roots currently, I have had my share of centrificals as well. I was actually looking for a d1 when an eaton swap fell in my lap.

Marvin9075

Established Member
Roots currently, I have had my share of centrificals as well. I was actually looking for a d1 when an eaton swap fell in my lap.

I have a centri now... I just don't want to do all that work to swap to turbo and have a bunch of issues. My centri set up is very reliable and has not caused me any issues since I have had it.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I think that no matter how cheap it may seem, a turbo setup is going to cost you unless you can build a setup yourself.

Hell, I have seen guys need to modify Hellion Kits.

I wanted a Twin turbo setup in the worst way. After all the research, cost calculations, and more research I decided on a killer Centri Setup.

If I do build a drag only car, I will then look at a turbo setup.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
That V2 Si will get you there then, even if the engine is a lower CR build.

I’d again want specifics. A lower CR build and that blower would make over 500, maybe close to 600 depending on how hard the blower is spun.

A CR over 10:1 would make over 500 easier and make more power below the curve. If you had two exact same cars with exact same HP and torque at peak but different CR, the higher CR should be faster due to more power every where else.

I am doing around 10.5:1 to 11:1 on my V7 build and I plan on maxing the blower out.

Marvin9075

Established Member
That V2 Si will get you there then, even if the engine is a lower CR build.

I’d again want specifics. A lower CR build and that blower would make over 500, maybe close to 600 depending on how hard the blower is spun.

A CR over 10:1 would make over 500 easier and make more power below the curve. If you had two exact same cars with exact same HP and torque at peak but different CR, the higher CR should be faster due to more power every where else.

I am doing around 10.5:1 to 11:1 on my V7 build and I plan on maxing the blower out.

What pulley do you think I need to make it to 500? I have the 3.13 on there as of now ... making about 415 whp

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Are you certain it is a 3.13” pulley and not a 3.33” pulley? They don’t have a 3.13” pulley.

The max blower speed for yours is 52000RPM. Factoring in a stock Crank pulley which I believe is 6.75” and a shift point of 6250RPM you are spinning the blower at 48600RPM at shift. I’d get a 10% over Crank to help with belt wrap as that should bring you closer to 52000RPM blower speed.

Even with a 3.13” pulley your blower speed would be about 48000 to 49000RPM blower speed. So you still have room.

Again, CR is key.

Marvin9075

Established Member
Are you certain it is a 3.13” pulley and not a 3.33” pulley? They don’t have a 3.13” pulley.

The max blower speed for yours is 52000RPM. Factoring in a stock Crank pulley which I believe is 6.75” and a shift point of 6250RPM you are spinning the blower at 48600RPM at shift. I’d get a 10% over Crank to help with belt wrap as that should bring you closer to 52000RPM blower speed.

Even with a 3.13” pulley your blower speed would be about 48000 to 49000RPM blower speed. So you still have room.

Again, CR is key.

So I checked the pulley and it is a 3.25. So with the 10 % over crank pulley, will this help up the boost , hence producing more power? I looked at a couple and most state the innovator west is the one to go with. Any recommendations on which one to go with? I was also reading that this puts more stress on the alternator, and water pump.

Users who are viewing this thread