Options for rev limiting?

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
What are the options for rev limiting in the tune? On my car (description in sig below), the rev limiter barely functions at WOT. I mean, it will kick in and cylinders will cut out (with huge pops and bangs), but the wheels will still spin and I think the engine would blow if I kept my foot in it.

And yet, when I watch videos of things like drifting, the guys there are somehow able to keep the engines at a steady redline rpm with no protests (or rev limiter popping) coming from the engine. They can shred the tires all around the track and it sounds like the engine never varies from redline. Are they doing this all by manual control, or do they have a tune that automatically modulates the throttle???

Since our cars are throttle-by-wire, is it possible to have the tune modulate the throttle plate opening to maintain specific maximum rpm's at WOT???

decipha

Established Member
most of the drift cars i've tuned are on an ignition cut out limiter which is much harsher, you should hear the distinctive bap-bap-bap-bap of the ignition being cut while they are on the limiter

yes you can limit rpm with the throttle body, there are numerous different limiters in the stock ecu, which ever one your tuner set the lowest will limit you, either throttle body, fuel injector cut limiters, or the spark advance limiters (tq limiting)

Users who are viewing this thread