orld's 8 Richest Men Have Wealth Equal to Half the Population

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
This is one of the most asinine "revelations" to make ink (text). Brought to you by Oxfam who pushes redistributionism of wealth.

There is no indicator anywhere in this report that the wealth of the world’s eight wealthiest men was ill-gotten. The quest for income equality is a fool’s errand. That’s because the only way to rectify imbalances is to punish successful risk-taking. The reason investors make greater profits than those who do the actual work is because the investors take the risks necessary to create a profit margin with which to pay those people. Oxfam neglects to mention where the world’s poorest people live: according to the World Bank, two-thirds of the world’s poorest human beings live in India, China, Nigeria, Bangladesh, and Congo.
You forgot to cite your post:
http://www.dailywire.com/news/12451/leftists-keep-saying-richest-people-are-wealthier-ben-shapiro

Blown 89

Established Member
Perhaps this is naivety, but does anyone stop to consider that being that wealthy must be an awful lot like playing a video game with cheats enabled?

I mean, what's the challenge at that point? Who can buy a larger yacht?

Don't get me wrong- give me $1B and I'd have a field day, but at what point does life get stale?
That seems like something poor people say to make themselves feel better. I seriously doubt life gets stale.

CV355

_
Established Member
That seems like something poor people say to make themselves feel better. I seriously doubt life gets stale.

I should have been more specific- life is what you make of it. I feel it would get stale with the "buy whatever I want" Hollywood mentality.

I would consider myself upper middle class income-wise. Every penny I've made was made by me- no inheritances, no handouts, nothing. I'm not wealthy by any means. If I suddenly had $1B in my bank, I'd invest in some of my invention/business ideas rather than blow it on cars, yachts, mansions, etc.

nxhappy

Established Member
if you land 1 billion, you could certainly afford a few million dollar cars LOL

2000gt4.6

Established Member
There's way more money in the world than 1 trillion.

The Rothschilds alone have over a trillion in assets.

Because they are cherry picking the stats to find what they want.

The poorest half of the population on earth is what the post talks about. This includes Africa where people are making like 10 bucks a week etc. Fairly confident that almost no one in the US can even make the poorest half stat unless they take zero gov assistance and have no income. Literally gov assistance alone should easily put you over the half mark.

Not to mention, in every society there must be pools of capital. It won't work any other way. Someone has to build the multi million dollar buildings and provide jobs. You can either have the government do that or private citizens. Didn't work to well in Russia having the government do it.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Did not read. However based on title I thought is was trying to make the point the 8 richest people have a combined total of just under 500 billion and everyone else has the other half or the other 500 billion.

How many billionaires are there in the world. I would wager there's more than 508.

Coiled03

Established Member
Why should I care? I live a comfortable life. Apparently, they live a more comfortable life. More power to them.

Jealousy will ruin your life if you let it.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Why should I care? I live a comfortable life. Apparently, they live a more comfortable life. More power to them.

Jealousy will ruin your life if you let it.

It comes down to jealousy. Its an innate characteristic in many species.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
I should have been more specific- life is what you make of it. I feel it would get stale with the "buy whatever I want" Hollywood mentality.

I would consider myself upper middle class income-wise. Every penny I've made was made by me- no inheritances, no handouts, nothing. I'm not wealthy by any means. If I suddenly had $1B in my bank, I'd invest in some of my invention/business ideas rather than blow it on cars, yachts, mansions, etc.

If someone dumped 1 billion dollars into your bank account you're gonna go out and try to make more? Why?

That's the only thing I don't get about super rich people. Long before I hit 1B I would be done working forever.

You (nor I) have no concept of what a billion dollars is. You, your kids, and your kids kids could live in absolute luxury without ever working again.

1B in the bank and out busting my ass for more? Not me baby, see ya on my private island.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If someone dumped 1 billion dollars into your bank account you're gonna go out and try to make more? Why?

That's the only thing I don't get about super rich people. Long before I hit 1B I would be done working forever.

You (nor I) have no concept of what a billion dollars is. You, your kids, and your kids kids could live in absolute luxury without ever working again.

1B in the bank and out busting my ass for more? Not me baby, see ya on my private island.

yup. If you invested well, you could live just about any lifestyle you wanted, and still accrue more wealth than you could comprehend.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member

The people with a billion dollars sitting in the bank aren't doing it for the money. They're doing what they love doing, the money is just a byproduct. That's why they keep "working" well after they have enough money to do anything they want with.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I read the title wrong. They say the poorest 3.6 billion people only have an ave of 119 dollars in assets.

But instead of helping those people make more money they want to take from those who have made a lot of people wealthy as well as providing millions of people with jobs good income shelter and food.

Blown 89

Established Member

There are a few things I imagine you're missing. You've built and industrial empire and are worth billions and you want to quit working. How is that conversation with the thousands of employees you have going to go?

"Hey everyone, I hope you had a great weekend. So listen, I've decided to quit working so I'd like everyone to go home. I'm sorry, you won't get a paycheck tomorrow so good luck making your mortgage payments and putting food on your table."

As a business owner there is a massive amount of stress involved because you are responsible for people's livelihood. It's something most people will never have to do so they don't grasp the weight it bears.

Also. I'm willing to bet having 7 days off a week gets old really fast. Everyone says they could do it but the massive number of people that can't stay retired is proof that it's not as easy as we'd like to think. For Joe Schmoe slob that's easy to do but people that make a billion dollars have insane work ethics and would go nuts without something to do. My wife constantly asks me to sit down and relax but I can't do it...I find pleasure in working a zillion hours a week then coming home and busting my ass. Whether it be cleaning, remodeling, tinkering on projects, cooking, etc I'd go nuts without something to do. I'd be willing to bet that billionaires are the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread