Painted my Steggy Eaton with Krylon Wrinkle Paint

hookandpull

Established Member
So I am extremely pleased with the end result of my experience with painting my blower. The paint seems durable, smooth, consistent and looks professional. First things first I prepped the blower with un-diluted degreaser and a tooth brush. Then I cleaned it with a cloth and isopropyl alcohol, and lastly I blasted it with non-chlorinated brake cleaner finishing it off with compressed air afterwords. Next once completely dry I sprayed the entire blower after taping it off with "SEM" brand Etching Primer which etches aluminum and creates an extreme bond to the surface with a chemical reaction. I laid down maybe 3 even coats allowing 15 minutes between each coat. This primer is dry to the touch in 5 minutes usually. I used a heat gun and gave it more time for consistency. Here are the pics of the blower after primer, and I must say the primer laid down extremely smooth with no runs prep is everything with this project.

IMGP6857.jpg

IMGP6858.jpg

IMGP6859.jpg

IMGP6860.jpg

Next I Put the primered blower in the oven at about 170* to warm it up before I sprayed it for better results, although the primer is going to make all the difference in the world. I sprayed a heavy coat moving back and forth first then up and down followed by diagnal movements holding the can about 12" from the blower. It sprayed on smooth And about every minute or so I would turn the can upside down and spray until clear gas came out to clear the nozzle. I took my heat gun to the blower and watched the paint "wrinkle after about 15 minutes. Remember every coat you lay must be heavy for the wrinkle to take effect initially. I laid down 2 more lighter coats using the same technique. Then I put the blower in the oven @220* over night. This is what I pulled out in the morning. The flash Kind of washed everything out but I am blown away with the results!

IMGP6864.jpg

IMGP6861.jpg

IMGP6862.jpg

IMGP6863.jpg

From the little time I spent inspecting it I have yet to find any inconsistency or runs. Everything seems to be even through all the cracks, corners and fins.

Last edited:

hookandpull

Established Member
I plan on sanding the Ford SVT badge on the front, and maybe fixing the Steggy emblem on top where the tape pulled off some of it's paint.

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
I really like it! I've been considering it for a while now, that and painting my valve covers to match. Please post pics of it on the car.

hookandpull

Established Member
Sure thing! I plan on doing the valve covers as well, but I am buying my buddies genII whipple 2.3 so I dont know if this is gonna make it on my car. He has to send it to whipple which is gonna take some time so I may throw this steggy on told hold me over until then. Then again I may put this up for sale.

ThatOneCobra

Go Ducks !
Established Member
That looks killer. Im thinking of doing that to an extra set of valve covers I have. I just hate prepping things :rolleyes: lol Your blower came out really well! :beer:

hookandpull

Established Member
Thanks bro! honestly I just scrubbed it really quick with a toothbrush and undiluted degreaser. The SEM etching primer made all the difference in the world

9935todd

Established Member
Looks great!! I just did the same to my Posi Port an hour ago. No heat gun, so I'll have to wait on the wrinkles!! I 'm hoping for a nice even pattern like yours. Todd

hookandpull

Established Member
I did the paint job simply for looks I dont honestly know if it would create any cooling properties, but I doubt it

Users who are viewing this thread