Passive Anti Theft (PATS) issue resolved!

Inkus

I thought it would be a good idea to share my experience with this and possibly help others. This was my wifes 2000 Mustang base that she has owned since new. She has a minivan now and I use it as a DD.
To start, the problem started very gradually over a few months. At first, it would crank fine, but the theft light would blink for a little bit after start. I figured it was the keys getting weak. I have two sets and the problem persisted. Not likely that they both would go at exactly the same time so I thought the transponder was going bad as they frequently do. Problem worsened and I would have crank, no start. When it would do that the odometer would show dashes instead of mileage. I decided that because I own two mustangs, I would just get a tuner and disable PATS and I would have a tuner for the Cobra. I used Delta Force Sniper. I definitely recommend these guys. They were knowledgeable and were quick to respond to emails. I disabled PATS with the tuner and it ran fine for about 2 months and then it started happening again. I ended up having to get it towed home. At this point all it would do is crank but not start except in addition to the odometer being all dashes, there was a loud buzzing sound coming from the passenger fender area. That should be the CCRM. I'm sure many of you have already shouted "Ground, you fool! You have a bad ground!". You would be correct! Something I should have checked first! Turns out one of the grounds that attaches to the negative terminal pulled right out with a little tug.

TL/DR Bad ground. Check your grounds first, people!

Also, if you disable PATS on a new edge, the theft light goes away after about a minute, but the SN95 will blink the whole time the car runs. I found this out because I lost all my cobra keys, but the 00 mustang keys fit in the ignition just fine. Disable PATS and drive away!

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I had the PATS disabled on my 98 due to receiver going out. My theft would light would blink for a minute or two while running, then it would go out.

Inkus

I can only assume some changes were made since my 96 because my theft light stays illuminated and its a bit annoying. Not annoying enough to go out and buy new keys/fobs. Its amazing though, that I was able to hold onto the original set for the last 17 years.

Users who are viewing this thread