Please help guys !

Any suggestions?

• Any

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New to this sorry lol

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Svt_gonzo

Hey guys I’m new to his forum thought I’d give it a try I own a 2002 Ford lightning bought the truck 2 years ago it never really gave me major issues the truck is fully built. So lately I’ve been having this problem with it where it seems to die out but it doesn’t always do it, the truck idles at about 700 rpms which is average. So when I come to certain stops and gas it again th truck begins to sputter and I start losing power on the gas pedal Sometimes it dies out and at times it somehow manages to get going again. I’ve replaced the mass airflow, idle air control, cleaned out my spark plugs, intake and all & it’s still doing this. Took it to my mechanic a few days back he ran a diagnosis on it and said the fuel pressure was fine so it can’t be the fuel pumps. He also replaced the spark plugs. I also noticed that I drove it for a day or two with the maf disconnected and it ran decent as long as I kept my foot slightly on the gas pedal while at a stop it react fine when I’d take off from a stop. Now That I replaced those parts I’ve noticed that the truck decides to bog out of the random at around 45 mph and starts wanting to die out. I’m no expert and I’d appreciate some guidance thank you guys

Dusten

Established Member
Hey guys I’m new to his forum thought I’d give it a try I own a 2002 Ford lightning bought the truck 2 years ago it never really gave me major issues the truck is fully built. So lately I’ve been having this problem with it where it seems to die out but it doesn’t always do it, the truck idles at about 700 rpms which is average. So when I come to certain stops and gas it again th truck begins to sputter and I start losing power on the gas pedal Sometimes it dies out and at times it somehow manages to get going again. I’ve replaced the mass airflow, idle air control, cleaned out my spark plugs, intake and all & it’s still doing this. Took it to my mechanic a few days back he ran a diagnosis on it and said the fuel pressure was fine so it can’t be the fuel pumps. He also replaced the spark plugs. I also noticed that I drove it for a day or two with the maf disconnected and it ran decent as long as I kept my foot slightly on the gas pedal while at a stop it react fine when I’d take off from a stop. Now That I replaced those parts I’ve noticed that the truck decides to bog out of the random at around 45 mph and starts wanting to die out. I’m no expert and I’d appreciate some guidance thank you guys

A list of mods would be very helpful. Fully built is a loose term
Second a little criticism, you basically wasted money on parts without any troubleshooting. That's always a huge mistake. If often leads to unneeded frustration and wasted money.

What did he do to diagnose fuel pressure? Did he just test it at idle? Did he test the hi/lo relay? What fuel pressure did he see?

To me, this honestly sounds like a cracked y in the fuel tank. The fuel pumps on these trucks feed into a plastic y that is prone to cracking. This causes air to get into the fuel and will cause all sorts of issues above idle.

Do you have a wideband? I wouldn't recommend driving the truck with the maf unplugged. The truck is using what's called a "failed maf table" for spark, fuel and such. This is ignoring all the actual inputs and just sort of winging it. It'll usually run, but its not safe, and can cause major issues.

When you get some answers to these questions I'll try and help some more

Svt_gonzo

Will speak to the mechanic who ran the testing and will get back to you with all the information In regards to your questions. Posted a picture with the engines mods

Attachments

• 70B68C2A-0086-42CD-9B7E-04D77130AACD.png
    70B68C2A-0086-42CD-9B7E-04D77130AACD.png
    541.1 KB · Views: 127

thatdude305

Established Member
I had a similar issue. It can be a number of issues. Spark plugs, ignition coils, fuel injectors. That would be a place to start. Also when is the last time you cleaned the intercooler? That could be a problem. Also change your fuel filter if you havent done that yet.

Dusten

Established Member
I had a similar issue. It can be a number of issues. Spark plugs, ignition coils, fuel injectors. That would be a place to start. Also when is the last time you cleaned the intercooler? That could be a problem. Also change your fuel filter if you havent done that yet.
The ic will not cause ****ing part throttle issues like that.

With mhp doing the work, and the truck having those pumps, I'd look into the fuel system. Those pumps are way to ****ing big. They are to much for the stock wiring. So look at the wiring. Pull the pumps and check the hoses. If the trucks on stock rails and regulator I'd really bee shocked if you don't have fp issues. I'd also find out who tuned the truck and possibly greet it retuned.

thatdude305

Established Member
My truck was doing the same exact thing. And the issue was plugs, fuel injectors, and a bad coil. I also cleaned the intercooler and what a HUGE difference. It made.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 101

Dusten

Established Member
My truck was doing the same exact thing. And the issue was plugs, fuel injectors, and a bad coil. I also cleaned the intercooler and what a HUGE difference. It made.
The ic made no difference in idle or part throttle. That's a neglected truck with numerous issue

Svt_gonzo

Yea man I’ve worked around all you’ve listed and everything seems fine till this point

Svt_gonzo

The ic will not cause ****ing part throttle issues like that.

With mhp doing the work, and the truck having those pumps, I'd look into the fuel system. Those pumps are way to ****ing big. They are to much for the stock wiring. So look at the wiring. Pull the pumps and check the hoses. If the trucks on stock rails and regulator I'd really bee shocked if you don't have fp issues. I'd also find out who tuned the truck and possibly greet it retuned.

I haven’t had the time to work on the truck which is why I put it up for sale but it hurts me to let it go. So I’m going to cut the bs and work on it tomorrow I’ll follow your guidance and update you on what I find. Thanks for the help brotha

Users who are viewing this thread