[Question]Warranty on Parts Replaced Under Warranty

munchy_cool

Established Member
Looking to buy a used 2013 GT. The vehicle was purchased a Certified Pre-owned and has ESP (valid till September 2018).

2 months back at around 63,xxx miles the engine was replaced under warranty, for a blown head gasket. Ford's explanation is water got into the Engine from the cold air intake (a Ford installed K&N air intake).

Question

What is the warranty on the new Engine? Does it have a 3year unlimited miles warranty or not? I ask because I was told that the 3 year unlimited miles warranty is only valid for a customer paid engine replacement, in this case it was done under warranty hence the Engine will not get that warranty.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Parts replaced under original warranty are typically only warranted for the remainder of the original warranty.

For example: 60,000 mile warranty, fuel pump goes out at 59,500 miles. The fuel pump is covered under the same warranty it was replaced under for the next 500 miles. After that, you're on your own.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
It all depends on how the claim was paid. Per the warranty manual if the engine was replaced under the 3/36 or the powertrain warranty, then it has a 12mo/12k mile warranty. If it was replaced under ESP then it has a 24mo/unlimited mile warranty. You would have to look at the RO and determine what warranty it was replaced under.

Also the ESP plan will not be valid until you transfer the plan to your name.

munchy_cool

Established Member
can you please link to me the document which says ESP replacement has 24months/unlimited miles warranty.

munchy_cool

Established Member
It all depends on how the claim was paid. Per the warranty manual if the engine was replaced under the 3/36 or the powertrain warranty, then it has a 12mo/12k mile warranty. If it was replaced under ESP then it has a 24mo/unlimited mile warranty. You would have to look at the RO and determine what warranty it was replaced under.

Also the ESP plan will not be valid until you transfer the plan to your name.
can you please link to me the document which says ESP replacement has 24months/unlimited miles warranty.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
It would be in the Ford Warranty manual. There is no public link that I know of. I was reading it at work when I made my previous post.

Note that only applies to powertrain assemblies. There is a section for special circumstances.

munchy_cool

Established Member
You need to check and see how the engine was replaced. Even if a car has ESP, the replacement could have been paid under powertrain warranty.
it was done fore free ..pretty sure was done under ESP as it was done at 63,xxx miles.

Users who are viewing this thread