Rain with drag radials?

95PGTTech

Established Member
Nittos here. Supposedly the best drag radial rain tire. I figured, people who have trouble are just asshole drivers.

I drove the Cobra home like grandma's grandma on an especially rainy day. I mean, people beeping at me I was going so slow in the far right lane. 15 under plus. Going in a straight line isn't terrible, but hit a bump, or try to take a curve and ask a lot of that tire, good night. Doing 15mph in a 25mph around a relatively soft 90 degree right hand turn, I pushed the clutch in and let the throttle off well before the corner and still spun it three times and finally stopped facing the wrong way, lucky.

I have never driven the car in a day forecasted for more than 20% chance of rain or snow since. If you really want drag radials and have the money to throw down on them, you also have the money to throw down on spare rims.

95PGTTech

Established Member
i highly frown upon drag radials and rain.

and for people that say oh it must be the driver. well bull shit to you, ive never wrecked in my life (knock on wood now) i have actually trained on road courses with professional drivers and ive been told i was an excellent driver.

one of the best posts in this thread. no amount of driving ability can make up for a physical lack of traction.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
These guys have more traction!
IIRAICE3.jpg

Fatal_Snake

Established Member
learn from my mistake fellas, i was doing 50 down a highway in a good amount of rain on 555r's and 4 months and $16k in damage later i got my car back

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
if i get caught in the rain (relatively rare here in southern california) i just go very, very slow, and concentrate on staying under control. it has happened to me a couple of times on hoosiers, which have absolutely no tread to begin with. you can't just drive normally and expect to stay in control in the rain on dr's

wvmystichrome

Established Member
dude...i wouldnt even THINK about chancing it. i cant answer your question, since my car is my DD, it has never seen drag radials...but i DO know, that i have lost track of how many "totaled my cobra" threads i have seen over the years (equipped with plenty pics), due to drag radials in the rain. i wouldnt even chance it.

Agreed. To many to chance. I remember Undertaker too out hers this way, IIRC.

Fat-cat

Established Member
Drive my MT's in the Rain all the time with no issue just keep it slow and dont give the go peddle much.

I drove home from the track on my ET Street Slick ( 15x10.5 ) and they have nothing but a squiggle cut into them Car was a handfull but nothing crazy. People just need to stop driving like idots on DR's and be aware of whats going on around you. If you can get by on a street tire run that. I cannot so i make do.

Users who are viewing this thread