Rear Diff leak...this may help someone out....

03outlaw

Established Member
Several months back I posted a thread regarding an odd leak from my rear diff cover. Some of you may recall my post asking if anyone else had seen oil drip out of the track pack option wiring harness hole (mine is not track pack car). Anyway to do my best to keep this short (not happing :D) I was pretty certain that I had a leak doing just that. I noticed some oil that had ran out of that hole an left a quarter size spot on my garage floor after the car had sat for a couple weeks back in December. The car only had 220 miles on it at the time. I thought maybe it was a fluke an maybe the factory accidentally got some fluid in the threaded hole when building the car. So I cleaned it up an watched it after driving. After a couple of times of driving it, still no leak so I figure I am in good shape. So one day after a 30 40 mile run around town I look underneath it an sure enough its leaking again. Now I know its not a fluke, clean it up real good again take it out a few times nothing. Fast forward to last weekend, take it to a buddies of mine (also on the forum) an start talking about how it is no longer leaking....Wrong, look underneath and sure enough wet along the bottom and in the hole just below the drain plug. So I decide when I go home I am going to yank the cover...(I know, I know, warranty, warranty, but it wasn't worth some jack wagon getting 90 weight in my car etc etc.). I called Ford Monday morning and got me a cover coming, $62 my price not bad, get a hold of a buddy (also member of the forum) an get me some amsoil on the way. Cover shows up on Wednesday, so I pull the diff clean the hell out of the cover and realize there is no way that the hole was leaking. Its getting pretty late, but I want to get it back together, so I head back to the garage to apply the RTV, but I paused and decide to do one more check because I still had that feeling that I swore it was not leaking due to sealant.......ok my buddy Darren is posting the video so check this out, if your car was built around Sept-Oct time frame an you have a rear diff leak, you may check for this.....you will have to wait for the vid:beer::D

sb03cobra

Established Member
Here you go.................

For Sale stuff
[/URL][/IMG]

Myfast70

Established Member
It's funny this thread just came up. I had a leak at my rear cover a couple weeks ago (track pack car). Weird part is that it looked like it came from the lower fitting (I believe it to be the suction line to the pump). I'm thinking being that it was hot out and I made several pulls with the car that it finally kicked on the diff pump. I know that it won't spray out fluid when the diff pump is running but was wondering if it sprayed out when the pump shut off?

Now after seeing your video I'm beginning to think that the cover may be the issue.

Here's a couple pics of what I found when I had my car on the lift. You can see the fluid on the black cover and other parts

Diff2_zps129cff6e.jpg

Diff1_zpsdb68ddfe.jpg

Last edited:

03outlaw

Established Member
Snoppy49, after closely with plenty of light I could actually see the pitting in side the hole on the old cover. On the new cover you could tell it was ok. But no I should have checked to be safe but I was pretty comfortable with. I put about a 100 miles or so on the car this weekend an all seems good!

Myfast70, I am not sure, yours looks like it is at the pump fitting, but hard to say without seeing it in person. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.

Derek5774

Established Member
It looks like its leaking between the cover and housing right at the bottom
Not a bad leak, just a drop or 2 falls once parked

Users who are viewing this thread