SCJ Manifold Review

Bryanh24

Established Member
Just wanted to give you guys my opinion on the SCJ manifold that I installed a few days ago! So I got the SCJ manifold, the twin 65mm TB and the FRPP CAI. Now I researched many, many hours about this manifold. Some people said it wasn't worth it, you need to spin it to 7800, keep the stock manifold blah blah blah. And some people who actually have it installed love it. Well I decided to try and it and WOW. The second I got in the car I felt a difference, no torque loss what so ever as well. For a comparison, I raced my buddies '13 GT with the same mods I had before the manifold install.. longtubes, o/r x, Cai, tune. We were neck and neck the whole time, we were both on 93 as well. After the SCJ manifold, I just keep on pulling and pulling on him. I couldn't believe it. While he was shifting at 6800-7k I kept on going to 7500 and left him in the dust. So does the manifold make a difference? YES! Just wanted to share my opinion and thoughts about the manifold. So far I am VERY happy with my purchase and haven't looked back. And my tunes are from Shaun@AED. If you guys have any questions about it please don't be afraid to ask! I'll be happy to answer!

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Did you port it? I gained a big punch down low from a good port job. Good write up, Shaun has these throttle bodies/manifolds down to a science

Last edited:

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
I did it myself. I drove the car with the manifold as is for about a year before I ported it. It is a fun little project you could tackle if you get bored one day. Here is the thread that I used to base my work off of, I just followed the pictures.
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/cobra-jet-manifold-reworking.955953/

Here is a thread that I posted myself that explains which dremel bits I used. I will post some dyno results when I go back in a couple weeks, but the butt dyno says gains are definitely there.
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/ported-cj-manifold-thread.1134012/#post-15544800

Bryanh24

Established Member
I did it myself. I drove the car with the manifold as is for about a year before I ported it. It is a fun little project you could tackle if you get bored one day. Here is the thread that I used to base my work off of, I just followed the pictures.
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/cobra-jet-manifold-reworking.955953/

Here is a thread that I posted myself that explains which dremel bits I used. I will post some dyno results when I go back in a couple weeks, but the butt dyno says gains are definitely there.
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/ported-cj-manifold-thread.1134012/#post-15544800
Alright man! Thanks!

noldevin

Established Member
You guys are making me jealous. I have a ported, shaved, and painted cj waiting for the PMAS cj intake to come out lol. Been itching to put it on since I finished painting it.

Bryanh24

Established Member
Added the E85 tune today also. I feel invincible. Kidding! But the car feels GREAT! Gotta take it to dyno soon and she whats she puts down.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Added the E85 tune today also. I feel invincible. Kidding! But the car feels GREAT! Gotta take it to dyno soon and she whats she puts down.
E85 is one of those mods that adds power across the entire rpm band. Totally worth it in the end, especially on a CJ setup. Have you considered adding the L&M intake camshafts?

Bryanh24

Established Member
E85 is one of those mods that adds power across the entire rpm band. Totally worth it in the end, especially on a CJ setup. Have you considered adding the L&M intake camshafts?
I've considered cams before but I just don't know if they will be worth it. Hell the labor will cost more than the cams themselves! Do you know much about them?

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
I hired out to have my cams installed because I am disabled. I was in 8/10 pain while porting my manifold, but I could have installed my cams back in my labor days. It is pretty straight forward, and you keep TiVCT. Shaun developed them with L&M engines, ask about them if you ever want to scratch that itch.

Bryanh24

Established Member
I hired out to have my cams installed because I am disabled. I was in 8/10 pain while porting my manifold, but I could have installed my cams back in my labor days. It is pretty straight forward, and you keep TiVCT. Shaun developed them with L&M engines, ask about them if you ever want to scratch that itch.
Ah okay, sorry to hear man. So you have the Cj manifold and the L&M cams as well?

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Yup. I have the L&M intake cams, and some mystery exhaust camshafts from ford racing. Stock headers. I hope to be close to 490 when I go back to the dyno.

Bryanh24

Established Member
Yup. I have the L&M intake cams, and some mystery exhaust camshafts from ford racing. Stock headers. I hope to be close to 490 when I go back to the dyno.
490 at the wheels with stock headers?! I've got longtubes and off road x pipe and the E85! Does that mean if I add the cams I'll be over 500 wheel? Wow... if so, looks like I need to start saving!

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
490 at the wheels with stock headers?! I've got longtubes and off road x pipe and the E85! Does that mean if I add the cams I'll be over 500 wheel? Wow... if so, looks like I need to start saving!
It is very possible to hit 500 with long tubes. I have E85 and an off road H, the only thing I am really missing out on is long tubes. The factory headers flow pretty well, but obviously long tubes flow better. I want to push the factory headers to the point where they fall on their face, and so far there are no issues.

Bryanh24

Established Member
It is very possible to hit 500 with long tubes. I have E85 and an off road H, the only thing I am really missing out on is long tubes. The factory headers flow pretty well, but obviously long tubes flow better. I want to push the factory headers to the point where they fall on their face, and so far there are no issues.
Did you do just the cams? If not, what else did you install to go with the cams? Like valve springs, etc..

Users who are viewing this thread