Squeaking from car help.

kanine

Established Member
Hi, I've been having an inconsistent squeaking from my car the last few months. I had my mechanic look at it originally, but he couldn't reproduce it. Last month I had the dealer look at it while I went for oil change and inspection, they say they think it's from the shocks, but said everything looks fine though.

I have Koni's. Originally I thought it was coming from the front driver's side, but it sounds like it's from the rear now. So it sounds like from the rear driver's side only as far as I can tell from in the vehicle.

I originally started noticing it cornering right with the car moving, like a highway curve. It still does it. No squeaking when I make right turns. Now I hear it when I brake too when I brake in gear, it squeaks, when I throw it in neutral and brake, it doesn't make any sound. My shocks look fine, don't see any leaks, haven't notice any change in ride quality. I tried bouncing the rear of the car up and down and no sounds. I don't hear squeaks on bad roads or going over bumps, sometimes a slight squeak on dips.

I made a video the best I could while driving. The squeals happens around the 13 sec, 39 sec, and 1:12 mark. Does it sound like the shock or something else? Thanks.

kanine

Established Member
No, still stock brakes, pads, and rotors. Only suspension changes I have on my car are Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport springs, gt500 strut mounts, and BMR panhard bar. I did put on new Michelin PSS and SVE wheels on my car last month, but I started noticing this sound before that.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I had similar sound on right turns. I had to have the left end of the rear sway bar ground on the end a few mm. This was due to a new brake system (larger brake and rotor) install. Since it sounds like it happens on turns or curves, seems like something is shifting. This was my case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kanine

Established Member
Thanks, I've been trying to pinpoint it, but very hard. To me it sounds like it's coming from the driver's side, but it maybe just coming from somewhere in the rear. I'm thinking maybe it's the UCA? How can you tell if the UCA or LCAs are getting worn out?

djniknala

Established Member
Did you lube up the outside of the bushing in the panhard bar? Poly will squeak if not lubed. Sounds like it's the culprit to me.

Edit: After listening to it and a better sound system I would check the runout with the wheels jacked up.

Last edited:

kanine

Established Member
Thanks, another member on another forum said he had something similar and his was due to the rear axle shaft being slightly bent. He says it explains for the reason for no sound in neutral, but squealing when braking and cornering.

I have a BMR panhard bar, but it's all rusted the bolts seized from 3 years of NYC driving. I actually bought another one and I'll see if that fixes anything when I switch it out.

kanine

Established Member
Well, I installed the new panhard bar and nothing's changed. I guess I will have to take it back and have the dealer look it over again.

Users who are viewing this thread