SRT-10 vs. Lightning towing capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
I can't find anywhere on the web the towing capacity of a 2004 Dodge RAM SRT-10, anyone know this off hand? Also, in your opinions, which one of the two would be better for occasional ( once per month) towing of my open trailer and mustang.

Thanks

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I believe Dodge recommends that you do not use the SRT-10 Ram for towing but I'm sure either truck would do the job.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Its the 6 speed manual standard cab Ram that has no factory approved towing capacity. I think the SRT-10 Quad Cab has a tow capacity up around 7,000 lbs. Probably could do more (it has a Cummins HD automatic) but is probably limited by those huge rims. The 20 inch rims on my truck knock off 1,000 lbs of tow capacity from the 17 inch rims.

TTA89

Established Member
The Lightning makes a great tow vehicle. I towed a bunch of cars with my 2003 Lightning. I would only recommend that you get a weight distributing hitch.

I have this one and it works great. Night and Day difference, really makes the trailer feel like its connected to the truck when changing lanes etc.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
TTA89 said:
The Lightning makes a great tow vehicle. I towed a bunch of cars with my 2003 Lightning. I would only recommend that you get a weight distributing hitch.
I agree, minus the mileage they get!

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
I agree, minus the mileage they get!
Oh stop your crying
Yes the L would make a great tow truck as long as the suspension is not modified. Lower = crap towing

TTA89

Established Member
As I recall I used to get 11-12mpg towing 5500-6000lbs at 80mph with the cruise on. :D

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Mike - I was lowered in the rear and it was all right (2 or 3inch drop shackles, can't remember) and it was too bad assuming there weren't alot of consistent bumps.
Best pic I have of towing with her...
LCSVT2.jpg

TTA - I saw abot 8.5-9 towing about 4500-5000. But my tune was way fat...

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Some of you guys mentioned a larger diameter rim has a bad effect on towing capacity, why is that? Also, why would a lowered truck be bad, cause of the suspension reaching the limits and botteming out? This is all new to me. I usually tow with my Expedition.

Thanks

203Cree

Established Member
Tow with a single cab, see what you get. A burnt clutch and a smoked transmission.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
Mike - I was lowered in the rear and it was all right (2 or 3inch drop shackles, can't remember) and it was too bad assuming there weren't alot of consistent bumps.
Best pic I have of towing with her...
LCSVT2.jpg

TTA - I saw abot 8.5-9 towing about 4500-5000. But my tune was way fat...
I ment more like how my truck is now not with just shackles

Dusten

Established Member
the larger rims can, but dont always effect towing, its the tires. Tires and wheels have a weight capacity. If you want a reg cab, the L is your only choice.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
203Cree said:
Tow with a single cab, see what you get. A burnt clutch and a smoked transmission.

How come the SRT clutch and transmission could not handle towing an open trailer with a 3200pound mustang on it? The transmission is made by the manufacturer to handle the increased 500torque and 500hp yet when compared to the lightning with less hp and tq, the lightning is presented as the winner? I don't get it. Maybe someone could provide some specifics about the inner-workings of the SRT transmission to prove why this truck is not made to tow anything.

Dusten

Established Member
dtheo said:
How come the SRT clutch and transmission could not handle towing an open trailer with a 3200pound mustang on it? The transmission is made by the manufacturer to handle the increased 500torque and 500hp yet when compared to the lightning with less hp and tq, the lightning is presented as the winner? I don't get it. Maybe someone could provide some specifics about the inner-workings of the SRT transmission to prove why this truck is not made to tow anything.
the tranny and clutch are made to handle that torque, at the weight of the truck, not with a trailer. Also, the tranny and clutch are out of a viper.
the lightnings tranny is out of a powerstroke diesel. big difference.
Plain and simple, dodge specifically gave the RC SRT10 no tow rating due to teh trannies inability to hold up to it.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I always heard the lightning was rated higher but that was just heresay so im not certain.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Why not just by an older 3/4 for towing.

Dusten

Established Member
Matts00GT said:
I always heard the lightning was rated higher but that was just heresay so im not certain.
The qc is rated at 7500, the L is rated at 5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread