SVT GI’s 97 Cobra Build – C Heads / Auto / Twin Turbo

SVT GI

Established Member
The powder coated parts started rolling in so I could finally get back at it. But first I wanted to modify the ratchets on the primary tensioners that have been known to over tension and cause broken guides.

IMG_0610.jpg
']
IMG_0610.jpg
[/URL]

Started putting the final pieces on the block. I completely disassembled the oil cooler before powder coat then bought the complete rebuild kit from speedconcepts.net Its probably the best and cheapest route to go when rebuilding an oil cooler.

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg
']
IMG_0692.jpg
[/URL]

Ported Mach 1 lower

IMG_0691_1.jpg
']
IMG_0691_1.jpg
[/URL]

SVT GI

Established Member
Next up I needed my Auto. I've been a believer in the 4R70W's for many years in high hp builds. I've heard the horror stories but never knew anyone personally that had issues. Nor did I ever have any trouble with my Lentech 4R I had in my 04 that got beat on both with the blower and then with the turbo setup. I street drive all my cars and need the over drive option so I decided to stick with the 4R.

This time I went with BCA Transmissions (Darrin Burch) built 4R.
- FB full manual VB w/trans brake, O/D and lock up
- 2 piece 300m shaft
- 6 plate direct clutch
- 300m direct drum
- 6 plate forward clutch
- HD welded w/ hardened gears
- modified pump
- Deep pan
- B&M cooler with fan

IMG_0723.jpg
']
IMG_0723.jpg
[/URL]

Only problem I had was finding cooler line fittings that I wanted. The stock fittings from Ford are flare fittings for hard lines and are British Pipe Thread (BPT). I could not for the life of me find 1/4 BPT to -8 AN anywhere other than Ebay from China! I've seen guys just run 1/4 NPT fittings, you're taking a big chance on those. you'll only get 3 threads before they lock up in the threads. I've seen guys crack the case forcing them in or they leak.

So I made my own, took the stock fitting and an 1/4 NPT to -8 AN and cut off the NPT and welded the stock BPT fitting to the -8 AN. Threaded all the way in just like factory.

IMG_0778.jpg
']
IMG_0778.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_0725.jpg
']
IMG_0725.jpg
[/URL]

SVT GI

Established Member
Engine and trans was ready to go back in. Probably wondering why the stock K member, A-arms and exhaust manifolds. Going to put it all in naturally aspirated first, work out any bugs, put a few hundred miles on it since engine and trans are fresh and work on my tune to make sure everything is good to go. I have most of the tubular front suspension and turbo kit but still need a few things so this buys me time to collect the rest of what I need as well.

Mechanical oil pressure in picture is for first start up and break in purposes.

IMG_0724.jpg
']
IMG_0724.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_0726.jpg
']
IMG_0726.jpg
[/URL]

Modified stock return rails to fit C lower intake and using stock 03/04 Cobra 39lb injectors. This is only for temp use until the real fuel system goes in.

IMG_0727.jpg
']
IMG_0727.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_0526.jpg
']
IMG_0526.jpg
[/URL]

Cam covers and lower intake going on.

IMG_0731.jpg
']
IMG_0731.jpg
[/URL]

I also fabbed up some brackets to relocate the coils to the firewall.

IMG_0780.jpg
']
IMG_0780.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_0777_1.jpg
']
IMG_0777_1.jpg
[/URL]

You can see the B upper to C lower adapter plate, powder coated and on. Also the cross over, alternator and harness going in.
IMG_0752.jpg
']
IMG_0752.jpg
[/URL]

SVT GI

Established Member
After getting the upper intake lid on I didn't like the how the cam covers and lid powder coat came out. I was going for a more darker grey, like gun metal. I knew I didn't like the color as soon as I picked them up but figured I give it a shot.

IMG_0790_1.jpg
']
IMG_0790_1.jpg
[/URL]

I pulled the center console and started the B&M Hammer shifter install.

IMG_1090.jpg
']
IMG_1090.jpg
[/URL]

I dont have any pics of it installed. I had the same shifter in my 04 Cobra and loved it. Figured I go with I knew. I wish I had installed the shifter before installing engine and trans. I had to modify the shifter and install up from the bottom...what a PITA!!

SVT GI

Established Member
Got it all together, built my base tune and fired it up! Ran it through 3 heat cycles then it was time to re-torque the heads studs.

IMG_0942.jpg
']
IMG_0942.jpg
[/URL]

Since I had to pull the intake lid and cam covers I figured I'd get them redone.

IMG_1132.jpg
']
IMG_1132.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_1176.jpg
']
IMG_1176.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_1175.jpg
']
IMG_1175.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_1174.jpg
']
IMG_1174.jpg
[/URL]

SVT GI

Established Member
After messing with the B&M shifter and struggling to get the cable adjusted correctly I decided to change it up and go with a Hurst Quarter stick and do a shifter relocation. Picked up an 01-04 center console, modified it, prepped and painted to match.

Got ahold of Grant Holland to do a custom shifter plate. Same print as my upper intake.

IMG_1072.jpg
']
IMG_1072.jpg
[/URL]

Test fitting and waiting on switches and trans temp gauge

IMG_0536.jpg
']
IMG_0536.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_0545_1.jpg
']
IMG_0545_1.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_0546.jpg
']
IMG_0546.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_0544.jpg
']
IMG_0544.jpg
[/URL]

Finally got the trans temp gauge and the switches I wanted. I also cut out a hole for a factory 01-04 fog light switch in the shifter bezel. Everything works as it should, all power ports in console and fog lights.

IMG_1256.jpg
']
IMG_1256.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_1265.jpg
']
IMG_1265.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_1261.jpg
']
IMG_1261.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_1272.jpg
']
IMG_1272.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_1270.jpg
']
IMG_1270.jpg
[/URL]

SVT GI

Established Member
Now that I got you caught up with the build. This is how shes sitting right now. Hood going on soon and currently 74 miles on the build. Been dialing in the tune and making sure things are good. So far so good!

IMG_0838.jpg
']
IMG_0838.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_0830.jpg
']
IMG_0830.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_0833.jpg
']
IMG_0833.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_0835.jpg
']
IMG_0835.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_0834.jpg
']
IMG_0834.jpg
[/URL]

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Gotcha, damn that's a awesome build man!! How hard is the auto swap? I have a 98 and looking into possibly doing a 4R swap into it, trans brake, full manual valve body, etc

SVT GI

Established Member
Wow very nice...subscribed

Thanks man...your build is very impressive!

Gotcha, damn that's a awesome build man!! How hard is the auto swap? I have a 98 and looking into possibly doing a 4R swap into it, trans brake, full manual valve body, etc

The big stuff of the swap isn't bad at all, it's all the little stuff. You'll be glad you went full MVB if you do. This car feels fast in NA form than it did with old setup on 10lbs....and I haven't taken it over 5500 rpm yet.

So only the Cobra's trans mounts are actually relocated further back than the GT's because of the T-45. I went with a Stifflers cross member because they said it worked on a Cobra when in fact it does not. Well it does but you have to move the mounts up on the frame rail, but once you do that the stock T-45 cross member will work.

I would not recommend the B&M Hammer shifter because there is not really any adjustment and it is setup for a stock cable use. But you can make it work if you want to keep shifter in stock location, just make sure you mount it before putting in the trans. Or...you can use a stock shifter from a Mach or GT. Or...if you want to relocated one then there are a few different options.

Wiring can be done a few different ways. I took my time and used the T-45 harness, took it apart and used what I could. I'm using the DTR on the 4R to activate my reverse lights and wired in my neutral safety switch through there. I also consolidated all the MVB stuff, trans brake, O/D, lock up. I tried to make it work as factory as I could using the stock harness.

Stock driveshaft will also work, just change out the yoke.

That's about it in a nutshell lol

1mean57

Established Member
Thanks buddy I'd a have to say your build is pretty awsome. Wish I knew how to do a wire tuck !!

SVT GI

Established Member
Well....this car has been the only car I've built that has fought me every step of the way. Took the car out today to put some miles on it, all was good for about 30 miles and then poof! Smoke everywhere from behind the car! Immediately pulled over and shut it off to see this

IMG_0903.jpg
']
IMG_0903.jpg
[/URL]

Called a buddy to tow me home, luckily I was only about 2 miles from the house. Put it up on stands hoping it was just a cooler line but nope. Cleaned the underside, fired it up for 2 seconds then shut it off to find this.

IMG_0910.jpg
']
IMG_0910.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_0909.jpg
']
IMG_0909.jpg
[/URL]

Front seal for sure but no sure what else is going to be needed. This whole setup only has 110 miles...Damn it!

SVT GI

Established Member
Well...3 weeks and some change. Pulls trans and took to Darrin to go through and clean. a week later went and picked up. Nothing wrong could be found and was still clean like new. Come to found out, the hub on my PTC converter was a little messed up and when I installed it I allowed for too much converter clearance or converter pull back. That coupled with the messed up hub, led to letting pressure escape between hub and bushing and blew out the front seal.

I took advantage of having to pull the trans and ordered a Circle D 252mm custom converter. Triple disc WOT lock up. This thing is a beast of a converter!

IMG_1005.jpg
']
IMG_1005.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_1007.jpg
']
IMG_1007.jpg
[/URL]

Waited 2 1/2 weeks for the converter, getting it back in the car.
IMG_1008.jpg
']
IMG_1008.jpg
[/URL]

In and car back on ground, time for some miles.
IMG_1024.jpg
']
IMG_1024.jpg
[/URL]
IMG_1025.jpg
']
IMG_1025.jpg
[/URL]

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Excellent build!

I must have missed this, but how do you intend on running the TT setup w/ the oil cooler in place?

Also what's your wheel setup? (offset, etc). I've been looking at the XXR 531s as well. How do you like them?

SVT GI

Established Member
WOW! Quite a build!

Looks like we're both working on alot of the same stuff.

Well done.

Thanks!

Excellent build!

I must have missed this, but how do you intend on running the TT setup w/ the oil cooler in place?

Also what's your wheel setup? (offset, etc). I've been looking at the XXR 531s as well. How do you like them?

The older, non forward facing HP kits allow you to maintain the oil cooler and keep the standard length filter (fl820s). I'm trying a mix of HP and ON3 parts with treadstone intercooler.

The XXRs came on another project Cobra I bought so I didn't buy them, 18x9 and 18x10 is about all I know on them lol. I can pull and measure specs if you need info? I have 3 inch studs all around for future big and little setup, finding lugs was a little challenge. They are the narrow spline drive, just found the deepest close ended lugs I could and worked barely haha.

Users who are viewing this thread