SVT GI’s 97 Cobra Build – C Heads / Auto / Twin Turbo

KoBra_98

TT04 98KoBra 70Boss302
Established Member
Wow Jason, that's a fine ride you built there. I finally got some time to view the build thread. I wouldn't mind parking that next to the 04 in my garage either! Great numbers.

SVT GI

Established Member
Any updates

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Not too much going on, winter has slowed me down. Took the car out on one of the few nice days we had and learned I need to upgrade my belt tensioner. Stock tensioner isn't up to the task when peddling the car to keep it straight on the street, it throws the belt.

Also picked up a 3" mid pipe with bullet mufflers locally. I'll be building my 3" down pipes to tie into it soon. Fender exit exhausts gets pretty annoying just cruising around.
IMG_1099.JPG

03bluemach

Established Member
Just wondering did you try and use the downpipes and h pipe that are supplied with the on3 kit ? Did you have any problems with them fitting ?Wondering how well they fit on a SN95 cobra for future use if I still go with there 4v twin turbo kit .

SVT GI

Established Member
Just wondering did you try and use the downpipes and h pipe that are supplied with the on3 kit ? Did you have any problems with them fitting ?Wondering how well they fit on a SN95 cobra for future use if I still go with there 4v twin turbo kit .

I did not try it on the 97 however it was on my 03 and fit fine. One of the down pipes to H pipes runs under the k member. I don't like the design of that at all. Ill use pieces of it to build my own since it is 3" until you get to the H. The H is 2.5"

03bluemach

Established Member
How's that oil scavenge pump working for you ? any issues besides it being loud.on3 is suppose to be coming out coming out in the fall of next year a engine bay top mount kit for the 4vs can't decide if I want to wait for that kit or go with the low mount kit .just not really a big fan on depending on the scavenge pump as from what I've read on most forums with failures. Turbowrex seems to be the best and most talked about as far as dependibility and are pretty quiet but I would almost want a loud one that way I could hear or know if its not working .

SVT GI

Established Member
No issues so far on the scavenge pump. Definitely not loud, can only hear with key on, Engine off and after fuel pumps prime. I've had 2 twin turbo cobras, both with scavenge pumps with no issues. Granted I haven't put many miles on this one yet.

I don't like the turbos in engine bay on a street car, with the heat and clutter. Just my preference. I do like them on a drag car where things are deleted and relocated. I'm curious to see what On3 does with their next version.

SVT GI

Established Member
Finally got the exhaust finished up. Ended up using a kooks 3" x pipe, bullet mufflers, and most of the On3 down pipes that I heavily modified. All v-banded and stainless 3" from turbos back. Really wished I would have drilled out some 99-04 trans tunnel mount brackets to use and eliminate the frame mount setup the 94-98 cars use. Using 3" with current setup really reduces ground clearance.

i was hoping to not have to run the passenger down pipe under the k-member but due to the passenger header coming through the A-arm area there wasnt anymore room to route 3" through there like the driver side. I modified it to tuck up as nicely as I could.

IMG_1188.JPG
IMG_1192.JPG
IMG_1198.JPG
IMG_1202.JPG
IMG_1740.JPG
IMG_1728.JPG
IMG_1724.JPG
IMG_1741.JPG
IMG_1727.JPG
IMG_1723.JPG

03bluemach

Established Member
Looks good man came out nice ! If you don't mind sharing what all did you mod on the on3 pipes to make it work .I just ordered my kit so ill been paying attention to your thread .I know when I spoke with them on3 on the phone they said I would have to modify the pipes by the trans mount , so I was curious what you had to do .thanks

SVT GI

Established Member
My modifications to my pipes might not be necessary with your setup. Too many variables will determine what, if any modifications you'll need. From how you orient the up pipes, the turbos, what mid pipe you run, trans and trans mount. With that said, the pipes probably could have been ok they way they were but I'm picky and most of my modifications to the whole kit were just for fitment improvements specific to my setup. Regardless, here's what I did.

IMG_1743.JPG

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG

IMG_1727.JPG

IMG_1724.JPG

SVT GI

Established Member
Walk around video with 3" exhaust

Took my son with me to do some data logging. Wish he shot a better video but you get the point lol

SVT GI

Established Member
Any update on how the kit is performing ? Any problems so far since you put some miles on the on3 turbos ?

No issues with the On3 kit or turbos however, I wasn't able to get a lot of miles on it because I broke the converter a month before moving to Hawaii. I had the trans refreshed and converter rebuilt, got to play with it for about a week before it went into storage.

SVT GI

Established Member
sounds beastly ! Cant wait to see the 1/4 mile numbers

Thanks bud. I can't wait to get a real number either! Lol. I got one pass, converter wouldn't stall past 2500 so the 60 foot was horrible. After some tuning and street testing the converter broke. Had to send it for rebuild and didn't have any time to get back to track before it went into storage.

IMG_1412.JPG

SVT GI

Established Member
So overall update...moved to Hawaii in July, stationed at Pearl Harbor-Hickam. Didn't bring it with me, traffic here sucks, no track and didn't want to deal with the state safety inspection. Plus, can't bring myself to trust people handling the car for Shipment.

Miss the car
IMG_1764.JPG

New home for 3 years, have a friend looking after it.
IMG_1873.JPG

IMG_1878.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread