T45 source front cover and quicktime bellhousing install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
After this latest engine removal headache, I've had enough of the T45 and its integral bell housing.

With the MAC LT headers I cant remove the trans from the engine because the headers wont clear the bell housing. This means at the track I cant drop the T45 out to swap in my spare without loosening a header and moving it out of the way. Trying to do this on a hot race car laying on my back sounds like a big pain in the ass. I may as well pack it in and load the car on the trailer.

With the adapter plate from TheT45source and the Quicktime bell housing the trans can now be separated from the bellhousing, quickly removed and replaced without loosening a header. The engine can also be pulled out the top with just the bell housing still in place.

Ive got the bellhousing removed from the T45, the stock dowel pins are reused on the new adapter plate, Im in the process of measuring backspacing of the stock bell and adapter to ensure the front bearings are shimmed identically as they were before. My first measurements were identical but Im going to repeat them this morning to double check things.

This will add about 20lbs to the car but I think being able to quickly remove the trans from the engine will be worth the added weight. Plus the added safety of the steel bellhousing might save my right foot should anything ever come apart in the clutch/flywheel.

Ill get some pictures up soon.

procharged 99

Established Member
Sounds sweet, i could't take anymore either thats why i got my six speed but even then i still had to put a jack in between the headers to spread them apart a little bit to get the bellhousing in.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Pics.

Bellhousing off
kids001.jpg

Stock bellhousing
kids002.jpg

T45 Source front cover with the bearing races removed from the stock bell
kids003.jpg

Front cover installed.
kids009.jpg

zankylen

Established Member
how much was the plate? I am thinking about using one on a t45 that i have on a fox body.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Email Zak at thet45source dot com and he will quote you a price I honestly can't remember how much it was.

zankylen

Established Member
did you buy the kit without the beraing retainer or with

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Yup four bolts and the trans is out. 10 bolts if you also count the trans crossmber.

It's trickier than it sounds though because a few of the bolts were a bitch to get at and you can't use a very long bolt due to the small space between the trans and the t45 source front cover. I put longer bolts in from the front with nuts on the backside. This worked better than the short bolt in from the back option.

Buy a junk 5/8 wrench and be prepared to grind it down and chop the closed end off to make a special tool for tightening the trans to bell housing bolts once the trans is in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread